Do you believe kids have the right to question authority?

For example, is it okay for your son/daughter to challenge a teacher's opinion? Is it okay for your son/daughter to challenge the teacher when they are disciplined during class?

Lola.Bee

Asked by Lola.Bee at 7:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• It depends on the situation
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 7:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Challenging the teachers opinion politely is one thing, but challenging discipline is entirely different. Depending on the situation challenging their opinion in a polite manner would be fine in my book.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yup I agree , depends on the situation.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 7:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• to challenge an opinion..i would encourage that. ..discipline?? idk, i like my son to do what is asked of him. If he was being asked or if he knew the teacher was asking to do something that is morally wrong then of course i would hope he would refuse.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• yes. i challenged many teachers often and they didn't like it, but i stood up for what i thought was right. my parent's encouraged us to accept our disciplines and punishments but to be vocal about our point of view. sometimes, that resulted in a win. other times, it resulted in a hard lesson about being wrong. but, we all know that just because someone is in charge doesn't mean they are right. i admire a child who has the confidence (or naivity) to say "wait, that's not right."
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 7:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• It depends on the situation and how they handle the questioning. If they are not being rude but genuinely playing devil's advocate or giving an informed difference of opinion I think it is fine. If they are nasty and just plain old defiant, I would say no.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yes. I want to raise my child to be a critical thinker, and if she is not taught to question authority, she will grow up to be just one more in the sheeple flock :p Do I think she should stage riots at 8? Not so much. But I think asking questions and thinking critically is an important skill for any individual, and I wouldn't want my daughter to feel that it's inappropriate, because, really, if a person can't back up the reason why another person should do as they say, why are they giving orders? ;)
    CPCrane

Answer by CPCrane at 7:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• depends on whats going on and who is involved
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 8:06 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I totally agree with aevena, who said, "Challenging the teachers opinion politely is one thing, but challenging discipline is entirely different. Depending on the situation challenging their opinion in a polite manner would be fine in my book ." That's called critical thinking -- and that is a very important quality to have. CHildren must be able to think on their own, but also remain respectful while doing it.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 8:09 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yes, as long as the child is respectful about it. My son has challenged many teachers and they all agreed that it is a GOOD thing for kids to be able to express differences or challenge teachers. My son's teacher had her facts wrong in a science class. My son raised his hand and challenged the teacher. She told him that if he could show her the correct answer, she would agree and give him 10 points extra credit. He did show her and he got his points. Children need to be able to challenge authority, especially when they are being wronged..as long as it is done respectfully.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2011