MOMS WHO HAD A HOME BIRTH PLEASE ANSWER

How much did you pay OUT OF POCKET for your midwife?

NCmommie421

Asked by NCmommie421 at 7:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i dont no how much is but would be interested in reading the answer but probably can find the answer on the net
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 8:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Nothing. The total fees for prenatal care and the birth were about $5000. My insurance paid half of that, and my husband did work trade for the other half. She said the average cost her clients pay out of pocket is between $1000 and $3000.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 8:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• you suck lol. insurance(which i dont have) and medicaid dont pay for it here(NC). i have to pay 2,000 out of pocket which isnt much compared to most ppl who pay the whole fee out of pocket but still :(
    NCmommie421

Comment by NCmommie421 (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• nothing. my insurance covered it all.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• The answer to this question really varies by area, as well as a few other factors. Your insurance coverage will, of course, be the primary factor - not all insurance policies cover home birth at all, so all of the expenses may be out of pocket. It also depends on CNM vs. CPM - CNMs, being advanced practice nurses, command a higher salary. Many midwifery practices offer an all-in-one sort of deal, where you pay for all of your checkups, birth gear, birth attendance, and postpartum care in a lump sum.
    As far as strictly for the birth itself, I have heard numbers (just in my area) ranging from $600-2000. However, it is important to keep in mind that in NC, there is a total of ONE practice that handles planned homebirths and CPMs are not licensed here (meaning that any who practice in this state are technically practicing illegally). This effects the price as well.
    CPCrane

Answer by CPCrane at 9:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2011