Got into a fight with my dad today... vent

well we just moved into his old house and are renting it from him. we moved in the 27th of march and have our old apartment until the end of april. so we loaded up as much as we could in our cars and the moving truck and left little minor things at the apartment to go pick up later, AND clean up later. all of this i told my parents several times, the most recent time Monday.

anyway, today him and my husband got in my husband's truck and drove over to get the rest of the stuff. i stayed home with our 3 daughters. while they were gone, i cleaned the entire downstairs, it was spotless. as soon as they got back, i went outside to help and the first thing out of my dad's mouth is him criticizing me for how dirty the apartment was and that i left way more than i should have. he even told my mom that there was food all over the floor and toys in the window sill.

well, the TRUTH is i went earlier this week, vacuumed all of the carpets AND shampoo'ed them to get some stains out. the only thing i had left to do (which i told him) was clean the countertops, bathrooms, etc. and as far as the food on the floor? he was referring to a few crumbs of food that were left behind in some of the corners of the carpet. JEEZ! perfectionist much?

i guess i was really irritated when he blew up at me since i just cleaned this house, anyway i told him to go home without even thanking him for helping my husband get the rest of the stuff. we have now reconciled and both apologized but it's still eating away at me. he basically implied we live like slobs or something and that i'm lazy. which really hurts because all i literally do ALL day is clean and take care of my kids. i'm doing the best i freaking can! but this is him, this is my dad, he's always pushed me harder and harder. B's were NOT acceptable when i was in school, and there were serious consequences if i came home with one. my car was always to be SPOTLESS or he would take it away from me.

AHH!!!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• yeah i think that he was WAY to critical i would go over to his house and bitch and moan if you find a crumb anywhere!! hahaa
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 8:03 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Hon, I'd just let it go. It's your house, and so is the one you're moving into since you are renting it. You are an adult, and you have nothing to prove to him! If you keep dwelling on this, it's going to eat you up, and that's NOT good for you. The kids can pick up the tension too. So, write it down and then burn it as a way of seeing yourself PHYSICALLY get rid of it, or do some other similarly therapeutic thing so you don't have to carry it around with you any more. HTH
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• btw, when i went to clean the floors i also had all 3 of my kids with me. there was nothing for them to do so i cleaned the floor the best i could with 3 children in the way! i had nobody to watch them and my husband was there but he literally sat in the recliner and watched the whole time. so its not like i was alone and had hours to dedicate to getting every tiny particle of dirt out of the carpet. both my husband and i actually thought it looked great after i was finished!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2011