Why would the doc say this......? re induction

I am 34 1/2 weeks and on bedrest/meds for preterm labor - no other problems like preclampsia or whatever......well my sister in law went to our OB today and she asked him about me. He told her that he won't let me go a day over 36 weeks if i make it that long......why would he say that? I am obviously going to ask him tues at my appointment but i am just curious why might he want to induce??

Ethans_Ma

Asked by Ethans_Ma at 8:01 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Do you mean to say definitely? Defiantly has a totally different meaning. I think that is where the confusion is.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:03 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• concern about preeclampsia , concerns about the babys growing or about the amount of water you have or concerns about infection

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 8:05 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Maybe there is something going on with your baby that you aren't aware of. My daughter wasn't getting enough nutrients from the placenta and I didn't find out until the morning of my induction. I had been on partia bedest and getting bi-weekly NSTs. I would ask to be sure you know EVERYTHING before you have the doctor induce. FYI, my daugther should have been induced sooner. The blood supply from the placenta was low and so she was literally starving to death inside me. If we had left her in one more week she might have had to be in the NICU getting fluids and having help breathing etc. Just an example of a reason to induce before term. Good luck!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I would definately be concerned about going to that OB for 2 reasons....willingness to induce so early for no health reason and violating HIPPA regulations.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• That is strange. Definantly ask about it.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 8:03 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Um, why is he talking you your sister in law about his patient. He would be breaking patient doctor confidentiality. I'm sorry, but I don't believe your doctor spoke to her, nor did he tell her that.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:06 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Um unless you have given written permission for the doctor to be speaking to your inlaws about your health and care, he is in violation of HiPPA and can be fined ALOT of money.

Outside of that you are the mother and consumer and he can't make you do anything you want to do. Ask questions and do your research.
    DoulaMom25

Answer by DoulaMom25 at 8:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Why would the doctor be ok telling SIL and NOT telling the actual patient?

Regardless....36 weeks is a considered a preemie no matter what. March Of Dimes is even calling for a stop to all of the iatragenic preemies. Before 39 weeks without a GREAT reason is no good.

If it is a medical issue, make sure you ask enough questions. Know your Bishop score. And read up on preemies in the NICU.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• First they HAVE to have written signed statements from you allowing them to discuss your case with anyone else so you could threaten to sue. Whether he knows you well or not it is still ILLEGAL. Second she may well have understood wrong. I would definitely be insisting on a legitimate reason why I needed to be induced at 36 weeks. You are not even full term at that point yet.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:09 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• WOW!!! 36 weeks is TOO early to induce. In fact, why induce? You are having preterm issues. I would be a pissed off woman if he really said that.

I wouldn't induce if I was 43weeks. But, 36 is NOT full-term. 38 is pushing it and still likely early.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:03 PM on Apr. 7, 2011