Help! My son is driving me crazy!!!

I get constant phone calls and referal notices. E-mails about 3 times a week sometimes more about my son's behavior in school. I don't know what to do anymore. His teacher is driving me crazy! Shouldn't she have experience in how to handle kids? She's a freakin' teacher! My son's not as bad at home, he has occassional outbursts but I can usually handle them. He has a great heart and just likes to be silly. He wants to play and joke around all day and if he has to sit all day in class without any activities and just solid work he goes nuts! Who wouldn't? I'm starting to think that punishing him is just going to hurt him since most of her complaints are small things. She even pushed me into getting him professional help from the city programs which I honestly believe will help him, they can't make it any worse. Yet she keeps hitting me with e-mails! I've done everything she's recommended and even look up disciplinary articles online for advice. I punish, I follow through, but nothing. He behaves and then he's back to himself, I don't want to break his spirit, what should Ido? He's only 6!!! Help!

nqmochafrappe

Asked by nqmochafrappe at 8:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell her what you have said here about him needing to be kept busy and challenged. You might supply some workbooks or something that he can do in school. Go in and talk to her. She should be creative to service all her students!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:22 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• i have to tell you i am having the same problem with my son but the difference is that my son has ADHD but why i commented on this is b/c they have berated me w/ e-mails and phone calls and i had to pick him up for the silliest of reasons so i decided to shadow my son thru out his day and i gotta tell ya i was shocked at what i saw. They want these kids to be mindless drones and not say a word!!!! they even put restrictions in the lunchroom about whenthey could and could not talk and they made them stop playing dodgeball three times and made them sit down and be quiet before they could get up again!! i mean come on!!!!!! kids are gonna be kids and they are gonna act out and be silly and if you take away EVERY LITTLE chance they have at being themseleves or be creative what is left of these poor children!!!! i feel your pain girl!!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 8:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• It sounds more like the school is driving you crazy. I have been upset because my 6 yr olds school has not been letting me know exactly what is going on with her. Their answer is the medication, which I hated to try, but since her bio Father has ADHD and dyslexia, I think, I thought maybe it was worth a try to help her. Your son will probably always be the class clown, and is probably bored to death in school, but will have to learn (and it's too bad)to conform to the mainstream at least most of the time - maybe ask the teacher to give him some work for the next grade up and see if he can do that, something more difficult may keep him interested longer.
    mamamel61

Answer by mamamel61 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Every grade has certain things they want the kids to be able to accomplish. One grade they are going to work very hard on self control, the next responsibility, etc. Milestones that a child needs to reach in development. Your child can be creative & an individual all day long AT HOME, but when at school they need to work hard and not be a distraction. You should expect him to behave for you and for his teachers, even if the teachers requirements are different than yours. Its called following the rules, even if you/he doesn't like them. Don't make excuses for his bad behavior. I agree that he may need a little more responsibility or give him the opportunity to be a leader. Give him tasks in class possibly, like holding the door, or being class helper. Also, for each day he gets in trouble at school, maybe give him homework. Set with him and observe his work. But don't let him hear you excuse his bad behavior.
    Sunnysland

Answer by Sunnysland at 11:23 AM on Apr. 11, 2011