does rubbing,rubbing alcohol on a toddlers back, help bring down a fever?

i have a 2yr old, with a temp of 101.3, i've been rotating between baby tylenol and baby fever meds, but her temp is still high, i heard mixing water & rubbing alcohol together and rubbing it on their backs help the temps drop. anyone do this to their child?

Meow6six6

Asked by Meow6six6 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Health

• ive heard that it helps cool them a bit or something..

oh ive also heard that smelling rubbing alcohol can help with a nauseas stomach....
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:47 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• No.
    Star76

Answer by Star76 at 3:47 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• i use rubbing alcohol on dominic, it does help! it helps contain their tmp but not get rid of the fever
    polishprincess4

Answer by polishprincess4 at 3:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I think a cool cloth would do the same and remove any concern about the rubbing alcohol.

Answer by Bmat at 3:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Try making your little one lie down and put cool cloths under the armpit, on the stomach and on the forehead.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I heard using alcohol isnt a good idea. A luke warm bath or wash cloth is alot better. That along with keeping them unwrapped and in loose cool clothing. It naturally brings down their fever that way.

Answer by gemgem at 4:01 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I think its supposed to be the back of the neck. Blood vessels close to the surface.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 4:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Try a lukewarm sponge bath for 15-20 min. instead of the alcohol. Cold water can cause shivering which will raise her temp. Rubbing alcohol used to be used in home remedies, but they've discovered (like the cold water) can cause shivering and raise the temperature. Also the alcohol can be absorbed in the skin and cause a toxic reaction...plus she probably wouldn't like the smell much either. I hope she feels better!!
    JacksMama613

Answer by JacksMama613 at 4:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I've used vinegar and luke warm water on their face, chest and back for bring down the temp. It was normal for both my son's to run a temp around 103 when they were sick. My youngest son had a temp once at 106. We were in the ER immediately. Very Scarry!
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• It works the same way sweating works, cooling you with the evaporation. I agree with PPs though, putting cool wash clothes under their arms and in their groin will help bring down a temp too. Remember that a fever is your body fighting off infection though, so it can actually be dangerous to bring a low fever down completely.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 4:39 PM on Nov. 30, 2008