Do you think I was wrong?

My friend and her 3 kids were over at my house today. They have been here before and when they play in the boy's room they make a mess of their room. And they never even bothered to help clean it up before they left. (There ages are 7,6 and 4)

Well today they were here and before I let them play in the room I told them that before they left they had to help clean it up.

So before they left I went in the room to check it out to make sure they put things away and seen that they didn't so I had them go into the room with both of my boys and had them clean it up. Well after they left my mom said that is was kind of mean that I made them clean up the room and she said that my friend doesn't ask my son to help clean the mess he made (which every time we go over there they don't play with toys they just play in the living room) and if they did play with the toys I would be fine with it if she had him help picking up the toys.

So I wanna know what you guys think?

jnb71584

Asked by jnb71584 at 8:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• i dont think you were wrong at all, i do that whoever plays over! i think its rude for the kids to trash the room and not pick up their mess!!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 8:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• You were 100% correct to make them pick up. They helped make the mess and SHOULD help pick it up.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I don't think you were wrong at all. Hopefully they will learn that when you are visiting someone's house, no matter how old you are, you should help clean up if you were part of making a mess.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 8:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• No problem if they were instructed to do this calmly and matter of fact.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I agree with pp's they helped make the mess it should be expected that they help pick up
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• YOu were right. And the fact your son had to help was awesome as well.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I always ask my kids and their friends to pick up behind themselves before their friends go home. I would fully expect my children to do the same at their friends houses.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 8:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I think you were right, not just to have your kids room cleaner but so that they all have a mini lesson of respect and helping out. If I were you though, I would make sure to let your friend know that your intention has never been to leave their house a mess, and to ask her to help you remember to have your kids help before they leave next time. Even if you know for sure that you have never left the other house a mess, your friendship is more important than a little pride.
    BarbaraMarie

Answer by BarbaraMarie at 8:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Thanks ladies I feel a whole lot better. I know that it was the right thing to do but I started doubting myself when my mother said that. Maybe that was the ways it was back in the days but these days kids need to learn some responsibility right?
    jnb71584

Comment by jnb71584 (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• @ barbaramarie I completely understand about telling her and I am going to talk to her just so I know that she is not upset that I did it.
    jnb71584

Comment by jnb71584 (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2011