Newborns

i have a 3 in a half week old and i have a sore throat and cough, my daughter dropped her soother so i picked it up and sucked on it and me not thinkin put it back in her mouth. could she get my sore throat ?
I am breastfeeding.

liv3laughlov3

Asked by liv3laughlov3 at 8:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why did you suck on it? Kinda yucky. Wash it or use a baby wipe.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 8:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I wouldn't really worry about it. She's certainly been exposed to your germs already even before you put the paci in your mouth, when you're nursing you can't really keep germs to yourself. But it's actually better that you're nursing because if you do have anything you can pass on antibodies in your breast milk to help give your baby immunity to whatever you have. So I don't think you should stress over it.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Maybe or maybe not. I would just keep an eye on her. If she starts acting sick then I would call the doctor.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 8:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Well she may or may not and it may or may not have anything to do with you sucking off her binky. Since you mentioned youa re nursing that is definitely a plus. You are passing antibodies for whatever you happen to have so if she does get it, it will likely not be as severe because her body has your antibodies to help fight it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My DD & I both got terribly sick when she was 1 week old. Her doctor said it was great that I was breastfeeding because I was passing on antibodies to her. I was SO MUCH sicker than she was & she got better A LOT sooner than I did.

Keep an eye on her & bring her to see the pedi if she does get sick.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• throw it a way but if for what ever reason you cant then boil it to clean it.
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Odds are, she's already been exposed to her germs. There's always a chance of your child catching what you've got, but most likely, she'll be fine.
    CPCrane

Answer by CPCrane at 10:56 AM on Apr. 8, 2011