Do you think people coming into this country should have to learn english to get in?

I think so. They should learn enough to be able to carry on a conversation if they need help. If they want to live here they should have to learn the language. I'm sick of seeing posters that look stupid cuz they have like 20 different languages on them. If I were going to live in Japan, I'd learn Japanese. I hated it when I'd get customers that only spoke spanish come in and expect me to know what they were saying, then they'd get pissed off and leave. Uh... why should I learn YOUR language? No I am NOT racist! I'm just tired of all the places I apply to telling ME to learn a new language so I can communicate with people.

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 3:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm not a racist either, but i so totally agree with you marlye!!...

You know, my english isnt perfect, i still make a lot of mistakes. Spell things wrong ect. But i can have some good conversations in english. I can communicate with almost everybody.

I thought its funny that the USA didnt let me stay legal with my (i dare to say) good english, degrees and after i paid a crap ton of dollars for my visa but they let them illegal ppl stay who dont speak one f****ng word english. And I'm even married to an american. But nooooo... :((

If ppl come to my country (Germany) I expect them to speak german. I'm not learing chinese just because they want to live here. Of course i dont expect them to speak our language when they are only here on vacation. But if i want to move to a different country, i better go and learn the language.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• No I dont think they need to. My grandparents were immigrants who came here legally and my grandfather fought in ww2. They eventually learned the language. My mom and aunts and uncles all knew english because they went to american schools. I think its important for people coming to america to keep their heritage in tact. We are the melting pot after all and I can only imagine how many families came here unable to speak english only to have remarkable children who became successful.

Answer by gemgem at 3:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• No, I don't think they should have to know it to get in. But I also don't think that we should be paying to have duplicate applications for everything printed up in other languages just to accommodate those who refuse to learn English.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:04 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• No. I think that it is helpful to know the language of the country you are currently residing or visiting in. The person unable to speak the dominant language is the one who is harmed the most (or not harmed if they don't experience any issues). It is difficult to ask for directions, help, communicate to doctors, ect... but in the end that is an issue that is laid on that individual. We could make a an argument it is frustrating for people having to conduct business with those that do not speak the dominant language but the reality is that for most situations it is the person who does not speak the dominant language to be most likely cheated or at risk for other negative situations.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• cont...I am planning on visiting France and I would love to live in Quebec Canada. I know some French, not enough for every day practical use, but I plan on trying to learn it more fluently. For me it is a safety issue. I want to be able to say my son has asthma and converse with a doctor or my husband is a diabetic please get some sugar. Or even what is in this soup? I would hate to have it be pig brains. Yuck. But many of my friends have lived abroad not knowing a particular dominant language and did just fine. They are back and loved every minute of it.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• i am not rastist eithier but if they do move here they should learn it there in our country they should know it im not gonna learn there lauguge just bc they won't learn ours
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 4:13 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• No, because united states of america accepts all races, view beliefs etc.
    We also do not have an official language because we accept all.

so no i dont think they should.
    yes its frustrating when yo come across someone that doesnt speak the language you do and its hard to get your point across, but im sure its frustrating for the other person also.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:21 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I did on post on this earlier.................................................
    Anonymous

• If they plan to live here, then yes they should learn to speak our language which is English.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 4:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Press 1 for english
    Press 2 for spanish

hahaha...

you would never hear something like that when you call a german courthouse or any other public place... there is only one option: german... if you call a tourist place, yeah then they offer english and sometimes french..
    m.robertson811