How many extracurricular activities do your children participate in?

My neighbors pre-schoolers have an evening activity every day except Wednesday, but my DD only has Girl Scouts and plays clarinet. Meanwhile, she plays in the woods, scooters, climbs trees and helps me around the house. She hasn't asked for anything except horseback riding lessons (hello, summer-camp). What is balanced?

neubren3

Asked by neubren3 at 8:46 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• YOU sound balanced. You need family time and kids need time to choose activities where they can create their own fun and imagination. We "go go go" all the time and it's ok to relax. We let others teach our children all the time instead of US teaching our kids to do things.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 8:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Personally I feel your way is better but that's just me. Our kids were in one activity always but never more than three
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Less is more for us. We only have golf lessons on Mondays and Saturdays. I prefer to leave the rest of the time open for homework and just enjoying my kids.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:01 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My kids are pretty busy but they choose to be.
    My oldest is a wrestler, baseball player, football player, track, Math and Science tutor, Swing Choir, Drama, and class Treasurer (working currently on raising funds for Japan)
    My youngest is a wrestling, baseball player, plays football on two teams, and is band. He plans to do basketball next year in the middle of all that.
    I always think its too much, but if they are happy and grades don't suffer and they don't seem stressed I'm okay with it. We just are always on the go, practice every night most of the year or at least every other day and tournaments vary. Most kids here are that way, our town is really small so its not like there is a ton to do anyway.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Right now none, but in the summer time I usualy put them in soccer. I want to do girl/boy scouts after we move so they can have fun in that too but a lot of stuff can end up hindering that enable them. I had a friend that had her kids in so much stuff. It was sad. THey just wanted one or two things but they were running 7 days a week.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2011