Have you or anyone you know obtained a fake or life experience degree?

If so, did you get a job or career advancement? Feel free to post anon. I'm just curious if people do this and actually get away with it. I'm about to graduate from college and it's taken a lot of hard work and sacrifice. Things like this are unbelievable to me.

lowencope

Asked by lowencope at 8:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• I do know a person who bought a fake degree and got a job they would not have otherwise gotten. I think it cost a couple hundred?
    Anonymous

• What's a "life experience" degree? No, I don't know if anyone has ever gotten a fake degree.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 9:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• As naive as this may sound, I never knew people could purchase fake degrees.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 9:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Samnmayasmom, a life experience degree is basically a degree granted by an "accredited university" that will let you buy a degree based on your past work experience. They have all proven to be farse btw.
    lowencope

Comment by lowencope (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Life experience takes a LIFE OF EXPERIENCE and a lot of work. That's more than 4 yrs of college sitting in a chair each semester with breaks in between. LIFE doesn't give a lot of breaks. It's not a fake degree. Many military get the degrees. You can test out of a class without taking the entire semester and those tests count toward a degree. Unbelievable to you? It's unbelievable to me that you think LIFE experience isn't a sacrifice. Some of us put family first and learn skills as single mothers that count. Maybe you should have taken a class in reality.
    Anonymous

• Anon- there is a difference between taking a CLEP test (the test that you are referring to) and getting a fake degree. One is legit while the other is not. I also find it interesting that you bring up the point of single moms. I know SEVERAL single moms who have busted their butts working, raising a family, and going to school so that they can give their family a better life. Those moms find it unbelievable as well that someone would make excuses and get a fake degree.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Anon, Clep tests are different...these "life experience" degrees i'm talking about are fake. Look up Lorenz University and others. I think you misunderstood what I was talking about.
    lowencope

Comment by lowencope (original poster) at 8:08 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I know someone who got her BA in her 40's based partly on life experience. She got to skip things like Freshman level American History based on having lived through enough of it and watched enough news to basically have as much of a clue as a 19 year old after having taken the class. She didn't buy the degree. She just skipped over the stuff that would be considered core humanities classes based on knowing plenty in those topic areas. She did take all the technical material for her major. It probably saved her a year. Plus there is usually a fee. A CLEP test really isn't much differnt from an AP test. Is it okay with you that my 15 year old is getting both high school and college credit this year? Or should he take the same material again while living in a dorm? Wouldn't you rather that he spend his college years doing advanced research and learning something new?
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:09 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• OH I agree Lovemydog, that's wonderful that they were able to do that! What you're talking about is legit, what I'm talking about is not. These schools will basically accept anyone and take their money. I think you are misunderstanding the post. Sorry I wasn't clear.
    lowencope

Comment by lowencope (original poster) at 8:12 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Holy crap! people are so WRONG and DIRTY! I am about to complete my degree and have worked my ass off for that thing! I would be PISSED if I found out I lost out on a great job opportunity to some ass with a fake degree! *Feathers officially ruffled and panties in a bunch over this*
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:51 PM on Apr. 8, 2011