Why do some Christians believe the bible and their beliefs should guide the actions of others?

Basically, I want to know why I should have to follow what the bible says if I don't believe in it.

melamommy24

Asked by melamommy24 at 4:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you dont believe in it then why do you want to follow it?

Answer by gemgem at 4:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• You don't have to. It's our faith that makes us want to follow the bible and it's word. If you don't believe in it then don't be a Christian, doens't sound like you'd be any good at it anyway. Find some other faith/religion that will cater to what you want to believe.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I'm not Christian, I'm agnostic. Thanks for assuming though that I have a desire or want to be Christian or follow the bible. I'm asking, though, because I've lived in very religious areas where laws were made on the state level to pacify a religious group. I don't see why I should have to follow laws based on religious beliefs as those aren't my beliefs, and I find it incredibly unfair.
    melamommy24

Answer by melamommy24 at 4:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Well as a christian I also find it incredibly unfair when people try and take things from believers too. It cuts both ways. I always say tolerance is a two way street and when people can learn to respect each other and live with others even if they dont share the same beliefs thats when things will be fair. But life is full of lots of things that are unfair anyway. I guess the short answer if you have to follow the law because its the law and if you dont then you would have to answer to breaking the law.

Answer by gemgem at 4:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• gemgem I agree with you. People want us to be tolerant, but they're not usually very tolerant of us.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Most of my family is LDS. I'm from Utah. I only have one thing to say about Utah Mormons - they are AWFUL. My DH and I were both discriminated against regularly at our jobs because weren't LDS. Filing complaints did nothing as almost everyone that worked there was LDS. Do you know how uncomfortable work is when you get asked questions like "What ward are you in?" or "Who's your bishop?". THEN when you tell these people that you're not LDS, the majority of them never even speak to you again! We were turned down for an apartment because we weren't LDS (and yes, we reported the landlord). If I wanted a beer on Sunday - too bad. They didn't sell beer on Sundays in my county, the county LOST business and jobs because they refused to give liquor licenses to chain restaurants.

I am tolerant, most of my family and friends are LDS or Christian, BUT I don't think it's right for the government to pass laws based on religious beliefs.
    melamommy24

Answer by melamommy24 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I am so sorry you have had to deal with that kind of injustice. Not speaking to people because of their faith is so wrong. How will we all ever coexist if we don't listen and learn?
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:21 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I don't follow the bible because I don't believe everything that's written in it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:07 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• It's hard to be discriminated against because of your faith, or your perceived lack therof. However in the case of LAWS, you have to obey laws whether you like it or not. The only way to deal with it is to either work to change the laws or move to somewhere more open-minded. Be respectful of their beliefs, but try not to talk about it. When they ask you questions, say something like you believe religion is a private matter and you don't discuss it outside of the family..
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I just want to say there are places like you described everywhere. I am LDS.I live in AL in the Bible belt.I was asked at an interview at Chickfila what religion I was & almost not hired because its a Baptist run corporation& they want to provide a "Christian atmosphere" which I couldnt provide because I'm LDS. There were other people who worked there who were told they couldnt own a Chickfila because they're not Baptist. Also, where we live alcohol isnt sold Sundays & most of the cities around us are Dry. We moved 2 AL from Palm Bch, FL when I was16.It was an adjustment going from hearing questions about Who's having a party, 2 hearing only questions about What church you go 2, &things like that. A hard thing here was having people tell me I was going to hell because thats what their preacher told them. Then those people avoid you or beg you 2 go2 their church. So I can relate to how you feel being in Utah.
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 11:04 PM on Dec. 4, 2008