Has anyone ever taken their young child to a "play therapist" for help with a traumatic event? adult content

If so...

1.) What was the event that prompted the therapy? (Only if your comfortable sharing, feel free not to include this.)
2.) What was your experience like, and how did the sessions "work"?
3.) Was it helpful in healing your child and/or obtaining information?

Any feedback or input is greatly appreciated! Thanks Mommas

CollegeMommy121

Asked by CollegeMommy121 at 9:02 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• My Grandson doesn't go to 'play therapy" but his Occupational and Physical therapist both 'play' with him all the time. In dfact it is the motto of the therapy group. There is a picture of a little girl blowing bubbles and the caption is "They think it's fun ..We know it works" They are right too. They can get him to stretch boundaries under the guise of playing. It isn't hard to imagine a child surviving a traumatic event and using play therapy to open up an avenue for conversation. I know they often use anatomically correct dolls with sexually abused kids and have them 'act out' what happened.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:06 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My son went to play therapy for anger management and anxiety. Play therapy helps young children talk about their feelings while doing something that they are comfortable with, playing. It gets kids talking. My son played games, drew pictures, role played, when it was nice out, they even went outside and played catch.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2011