• In the Spotlight:

What can I do to produce more breastmilk?

I had my baby n the 18th and I am having to supplement with formula during the night because I am not producing enough milk. Other than pumping, what else is there that I can eat, drink, or do to produce more milk?

AnasMommy7

Asked by AnasMommy7 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.llli.org//FAQ/increase.html

Answer by gemgem at 4:21 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Eat a bowl of oatmeal everyday. I hate that shit but my supply has increased SO much since I started eating it. Drink 64oz of water a day. There is also tea for breastfeeding moms that is supposed to help increase supply.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:22 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Ok do you want medical or old wive's tale? lol My grandma told me to eat chocolate!! The more you eat and the more often you feed or pump you will produce more. I would pump between feedings as much as you can. Even if it is like just and ounce or two try to pump two to three times a day around feedings. Ask your doctor about it. I could only bf for 3 months because I couldn't produce enough even pumping and all. If you can't produce then you just can't. I was having to bf and then to feed formula after bc she wasn't getting full.
    Blessedmommy215

Answer by Blessedmommy215 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Try refraining from caffinated drinks, drink more water and other clear liquids. I eat oatmeal, but I like it too.. Do pump after every feeding, it may not be enough to store but do it for stimulation, especially at night. Their is mothers milk tea and fenugreek. I have never tried I have never had a problem with supply, until recently but its twins so I give my self grace.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 4:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Why do you feel like you are not producing enough?
    Anonymous

• I heard that beer stimulates lactation. I was a little skeptical so while I was in the hospital I asked the nurse if she'd ever heard that and she said that it's completely true. She said that 1 beer a day is safe for baby and you don't have to pump and dump. I've done it a few times already and I can tell the difference.
    nvalentina

Answer by nvalentina at 4:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• My daughter is always hungry, as if she is not getting enough to eat, so I do not believe I am producing enough, not only that but I pumped the other day and only got 1.5 oz
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 4:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Always feed first then pump after. It is stimulating more milk production. Also, a baby that age is only drinking about 2 ounces at a feeding anyway. I would recommend the oatmeal, too, as well as fenugreek pills. You would find them by vitamins, usually at a health foods store, but I have seen them in Wal-Mart, too. Find a local Le Leche group in your area. They have meetings and some even have scales and can weigh your baby after feeding to see how much she is actually drinking. Plus, your baby can get more out of you than a pump can. She may still fuss because of something you eat that is not agreeing with her, she could have acid reflux. Don't give up
    zoie1077

Answer by zoie1077 at 5:31 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Pump output is NO indicator of supply. And your baby is still newborn, so they are hungry all the time. At this stage, all you have to do is continue to nurse, and do so on demand, and your supply will catch up to her demand in no time.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Babies have growth spurts and will cry as though they are starving. It is their way of upping your production. If you supplument you sacrifice your supply. Nurse nurse nurse. If you are getting at least 6 wet diapers a day then all is good. Oatmeal and fenugreek can help as well.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2008