Which one?

I've been wanting to get my boys, ages 6, 4 and 15 months, a pet for awhile now. I thought of what pet would be best for their ages and decided against getting them fish since I thnk they will get bored of them since they can't play with them. Dogs or cats are out of the question, for right now atleast. I am thinking of getting either a rabbit or guinea pig since they aren't too much work and they can play with them as well. Which one do you think would be best? If you have any experience with either please share your stories! Thanks!

JessMomToDLA

Asked by JessMomToDLA at 9:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Pets

• We had a rabbit, but be careful because they do bite.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 9:10 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I have had a rabbit, but never had a guniea pig. I worked in a pet store for a long time and if you get a small animal be sure not to use pine or cedar shavings for bedding because it can cause respritory infections and that can rack up a vet bill, they have this other recycled bedding that comes in different colors but it doesn't really help with the smell and it's a little more expensive. Rabbits are usually skiddish and take tons of attention to tame them and some will bite and scratch when they kick their back feet. Most experience I have had with guniea pigs is they are also very skiddish unless handled a lot. The best small pet I ever had was rats. They are very smart and love attention after you tame them! Hamsters are extremely mean and will bite and hiss, I'm sure there are some nice ones out there but they were the meanest small pet I have came across.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 9:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• We have a rabbit, we actually started with two and lost one a few months ago. We've been to the vet several times for both. It's complicated and only certain vets treat them. Also, If I knew how bad the smell would be, I would have never done it. The odor is endless and on days when the air is heavy it's unbearable. My son has a wonderful turtle and hamster, I'd recommend something like that.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 9:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Guniea pigs make a lot of noise at NIGHT. We had a pet mouse. He was great. He loved to be played with, never bit anyone, and didn't smell as long as the cage was cleaned often.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:30 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I had 2 guinea pigs...forgot to feed them for ONE day and came home to one eating the other....I would definatly go with the rabbit
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 9:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Guinea pigs are nice but they never seem to live for very long . Have you thought about a lizard such as an iguana ? Ferrets are quite popular but I have have never had one .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I have had both and I would go with a guinea pig. I think they are a little easier than the rabbit and less work. Rabbits do have a very strong odor as well.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:43 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• To be honest either one are a mess and full of work. But guinea pigs, I think, have more personality. Good luck on being a newbie pet owner!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 1:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Rabbits are pretty finicky... guinea pigs are loud and kinda fun but have a tendency of just kinda randomly dying (weird)...
    Some other ideas of good starter pets: Turtle, Rat or Mouse, Hamster, Hedgehog... Umm.... Maybe a ferret but they're kinda high maintenance if you don't want them to be stinky.
    ANL221

Answer by ANL221 at 6:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2011