I think we could do it... don't you?

With all this talk about the budget and looming shutdown.... and I'm sick of hearing the blame game.... I say send that crap over here to all us moms and we can get that budget bathed, whipped and put to bed by 10PM.

(okay - I'm not being serious -- but dad-gum..... c'mon..... )

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 9:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I hear ya. This is ridiculous. And I'm not saying we shouldn't help others, I'm a Christian and all for helping others BUT (and it's a pretty big BUTT) We have people in this country who can't find jobs that want to work, We have poor people living in parks and under bridges. We have children that go to bed hungry and don't have medicine for sicknesses...and the gov't helps all these other people. It's just sad, they seem more worried about their worldly image, than helping their own. More money and help was sent to Haiti (from what i hear) than went to help those last year for the floods in TN.
    chnkychic76

Answer by chnkychic76 at 9:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• LOL, OP, that may not be as far-fetched as it sounds. At least us mom's would be locking the doors and telling corporate and special interests to go to the hall, sit down, shut-up and we'd let them know when we were done.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I've been saying for a while that the budget needs to be in the hands of people who know how to actually MAKE a budget -- people who know that there is *this* much money and no more, so they know how to prioritize what has to be paid and what can wait and what is truly junk. Give it to us moms. Give it anyone who has had to live (or chosen to live) under a very disciplined financial system. You cannot spend what you do not have. And those bigwigs up there in LaLaLand (aka DC) have forgotten that lesson, if they had ever learned it.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• "'m a Christian and all for helping others BUT (and it's a pretty big BUTT) We have people in this country who can't find jobs that want to work, We have poor people living in parks and under bridges. We have children that go to bed hungry and don't have medicine for sicknesses...and the gov't helps all these other people."

Not saying that I don't believe we have much work to do and many cuts to make... BUT as a christian I wouldn't think to hear such discrimination. Human beings are human beings especially in God's eyes. and we do help people who live here as well as people abroad. When you add up all the money spent on gov assistance programs it's way more than what we send to aid poverty and disaster relief overseas.

@OP I completely agree. People with seemingly limitless access to money shouldn't be making the budget lol
    Anonymous

• Well call me half-baked... but when I'm paying out WAY more than I'm bringing in .... then *I* get called to the carpet on it. *I don't have a choice but to 1. cut ALL unnecessary spending, 2. get another job to bring in some more money, 3. Piece-meal payments to all that old debt and 4. DON'T DO THAT CRAP NO MORE.
    There's a lot to be said about getting back to basics.
    I've heard the number 61 Billion being thrown around a lot today and while 61 Billion in *MY bank account would be a whole lot of money.But when you look at a number like 61 Billion against a number like 14 TRILLION, you're talking about LESS THAN ONE PERCENT! - Hell less than HALF a percent.
    Isn't that kinda like me trying to tell y'all that I'm broke and the bank is about to foreclose on my house - BUT I just can't bring myself to Stop going to the salon or give up designer handbags to save my house. Just not willing to cut enuff to save my own ass. hmmm
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 9:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• bumped ya,
    If we got rid of foreign aide, the dept of energy, the dept of education, and farm subsidies, we could almost be balanced. lol
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:03 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I've often said - bring a mom that has lived paycheck to paycheck or paycheck to a 4 week wait for unemployment! can balance that budget quicker than a blink! Cut, copy, paste. There are so many agencies that do the same thing but do not communicate! I don't think we would need to get rid of any agencies but trim it back. Do you really need to travel for meetings now days?? Do you really need to spend EVERY dollar you get just so you get the same amount or more next year. Thats like going in for your annual job performance review and your boss sayin "ok so we paid you x but you only spent x therefore we are going to cut your pay" Well heck yeah then I would spend every dollar and not plan a future and continue to barely do my job! GET A CLUE
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 10:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• AMEN!!! Let's help the people HERE first! And, Mr. President....quit traveling. Like the pp said, Do you really need to travel for meetings now days??
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Not an easy job when NO one person, 1 department, 1 council, 1 research facility, 1 lobby, 1 union, 1 politician, 1 state, 1 welfare recipient,1 billionaire or 1 government worker wants to be affected by the solutions/cuts. Most of us are going to have to be affected in order for this problem to fixed-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yes, Sisteract, we are. And we are going to have to 'woman up' and deal with it. We cannot live with this debt hanging over our heads. We must live with less so that we can pay off this debt. All of us. It will be tough, but we are tough. We can manage to make it work.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2011