Why would my son's cat be grooming my poodle like he's her baby?

Seriously, every time those two are together, the cat walks over to Sheldon (my poodle, yep, he's named after the character on The Big Bang Theory), and she starts grooming him, like he's her baby kitten! She LOVES his ears, and will just spend so much time just on them. It's funny to watch, and when I move her, she goes right back over to Sheldon. He doesn't seem to mind, and when he gets enough, he'll move his head, or go under the bed to get away from her, but for the most part, he will tolerate it. Can anyone tell me why the cat does this?

cbk_mom3

Asked by cbk_mom3 at 9:22 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Pets

• That is cute! I have pictures of some of my cats nursing on my chihuahua. She was barely out of her puppy stage and they were as big as she was. Never quite understood that, but they sure enjoyed nursing on her!
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 10:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I love Big Bang that much too!!!!!
    Cats show love by grooming. She loves him!
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My dog and cat do the same. They love each other. Be happy that they get along.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• because she loves him :) do you have any pictures?
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• aww she loves him! My female cat used to nurse off of my female dog. My dog wasnt fixed at the time and actually was producing milk for my cat!! It was so funny, and they would always lick eachother. My cat really thought that my dog was her mommy. They are best friends, they do everything together!
    urbuttacup88

Answer by urbuttacup88 at 9:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• She is showing love. My cat and dog bath each other and cuddle all the time =)
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I thought that, but then I wondered if she had some other reason. They are so cute together. Big Bang is the funniest show on tv, and Sheldon is the funniest character on tv.
    cbk_mom3

Comment by cbk_mom3 (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I didn't have my camera handy earlier. When they have their love-fest tomorrow, I'll snap a few. LOL.
    cbk_mom3

Comment by cbk_mom3 (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• When I moved in with my fiance his female dog had just had a litter of puppies that had all left for their homes... I brought my dog with me and ever since we moved in she treats him like her "baby" cleaning him and his ears, etc. It's so funny (and gross!) lol
    I thought it was totally abnormal til I saw this :)
    ANL221

Answer by ANL221 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Cats & Dogs do get along Well. I had a poodle. His Name was Petie. We had a cat that had Kittens. They were on their own when their mother died. But the kittens all took over liking Petie., They'd go suck on his poodle curls and do the kneading too. They loved him so! And he loved Kittens so much. When later on one of those Kittens became a Mother cat and had kittens. Petie, our poodle though they were his! He thought he was a Cat. When he Died. Before I knew it. A grey kitten appeared and stayed to live here. And yes, our Petie died! The love bond of animals can be quite deep & Cute!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2011