• No, just try not to have many .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I didn't click the links, but that's why, unless a woman is having a problematic pregnancy, our doctors only order 1 u/s per pregnancy, around 20 weeks.
    Anonymous

• For every weblink that you post stating they might be harmful, I can find the same amount stating they are safe.
    If they were truly that harmful, then they would not still be in wide use after over 30 years of standard use in obstetrics.
    Anonymous

• absolutely! The midwife I go to doesn't push them at all, and only suggests the 12 week one for the nucal translucency scan, but only IF you want to do it. There is nothing that can force you to get one. I only had 2 with my first born, and I would have skipped the first one If I had known it was SO ridiculous (internal, invasive and no heartbeat yet!)
    Again, another thing we do WAY more than any other civilized nation. It's considered "over testing" to do them without cause.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 10:10 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• also...to the "nay sayers"...they are as "safe" as many other things that just have no precise arrows yet. In theory, they may have a magnetic effect on cell growth/development...and "MAY" is enough for me to use them sparingly.

I've heard many things are "safe"...and then there is the cancer and the mercury content...and the "microwaves change the molecular structure of your food"...
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 10:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I didn't click the links. I will later when the internet isn't being silly. So could someone please just summarize?
    TexasWife

Answer by TexasWife at 10:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yes, I have.
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 10:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• TexasWife, Ultrasound is being tested as a temporary birth control option for men. The burst of ultrasound energy, disrupts the normal biological function of the testes, making the man infertile for six months. It then seems reasonable to question what these same ultrasound waves are doing to unborn babies. Furthermore, Frequent ultrasound scans during pregnancy may result in growth restriction in the womb and the birth of smaller babies, according to a study of almost 3,000 Australian women. Another study done on mice found that pregnant mice exposed to ultrasound gave birth to some offspring that suffered brain abnormalities. The mice exposed to ultrasound for 30 minutes or longer experienced a small but significant migration of brain neurons to improper places in the brain. The previous is summary from just the first link, there is further information with more studies in the other links.
    dedicatedrider

Comment by dedicatedrider (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Absolutely I have avoided them!
    I don't get them in my pregnancies because I avoid unnecessary risks.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Really? I would appreciate links to any websites that say that ultrasounds *ARE definitely* safe.
    Thanks!

(I have only found that their safety is unknown.)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:30 PM on Apr. 7, 2011