How to get a child to stop biting?

my cousins son is 2 years old and he will not stop biting all of my kids when he gets mad at them.we tell him no and that it is bad.but it doesnt help.his mom will spank him but i dont believe in that so any good tips would help thanks

phatmommie

Asked by phatmommie at 10:02 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Bite him back. Really. It works.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:03 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• in my opinion biting him back will only show him its okay to bite people.
    my son used to bite a lot. we just always said no bites. i pointed at his mouth or touched his lips so he knew what "biting" meant. we never gave him anymroe attention for it. he would bite his twin so if it happened i would say no bites and pick up his twin and comfort his twin, which showed him he doesn't get attention for it.
    he doesn't bite much anymore! i think its a phase.
    as your son is older, I would try time outs for it, as well as always reminding him "no bites" our doctor told us not to freak out or over react because you dont want to draw attention to it.
    also, I try to teach them what theyre feeling and how else to react. I say I know youre mad you want to say no to him (his twin) they bite because they dont have words for their emotions/dont know how to express themselves.

ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:14 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Biting back does not work for every child...and I personally would not do it, because violence begets violence IMO...but...

I have just gotten over this hump with my own child and it's not fun (though mine didn't bite friends in anger...it was more of a playful or random dominance thing...like lion cubs)
    but there has to be CONSTANT helicopter parenting and immediate intervention. Something we have tried is having another mom sit with him while "I" tend to the hurt child with the mother, taking attention away from him (in case that is behind it or even helps him refocus). I think that has helped us. Diet and sleep are also a BIG factor...but some kids are just more physical, and it's just harder to parent them, especially in the early years when they have NO impulse control.

boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 10:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I bit back and it worked. I also pinched back it that worked as well. I needed to show her that what she was doing actually hurt. If they have nothing to compare it to then telling that it hurts doesn't get you anywhere.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My son bit ONCE. I bit him back and he NEVER bit again.

You people that don't bite back seem to all say your kids had an "issue" with it. They aren't going to understand all of that. And biting HURTS and is crude behavior. Biting back ONE time not real hard but enough to help them grasp the concept works.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• When a 2 yr old bites, it is usually out of frustration or anger and the child doesn't have the verbal skills to express his feelings. I do NOT condone biting a child back...that teaches that biting is ok, that hurting others is ok. As parents, we need to TEACH our child appropriate behaviors NOT hurt them. My child never had an issue with biting because I taught him appropriate ways to handle his emotions.

BTW, biting a child, especially if it leaves a mark or bruise, CAN be considered child abuse.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• his mom bit him back didnt work and when he pulls hair she will pull his back that doesnt work and when he hits someone she will spank him or hit back and he just wont stop.its out of hand cause everytime we turn around he is doing something else he is a little bully and only 2 years old
    phatmommie

Comment by phatmommie (original poster) at 10:30 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• It doesn't teach that biting is ok. It teaches that biting effin hurts.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:30 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• i do not believe in spanking or any of that stuff but what she does is her business not mine
    phatmommie

Comment by phatmommie (original poster) at 10:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Honestly, the first time mine bit (and all 4 did it around 3-4 years old) I told them "we don't do that, it hurts and it's mean". The second time they bit I bit them (gently...hard enough to hurt but nor hard enough to break skin) and said "See, that hurts and that's why we do not bite". I did the same thing the first time they pinched or pulled hair as well...I told them it wasn't nice and then they all did it a 2nd time and I showed them how it felt. Every single one of my children only pulled hair, pinched and bit twice. Obviously the explanation that it hurt wasn't enough, they needed to feel it to get that it hurt & that it wasn't a nice thing to have done to you. I promise that my sons (all adults now) did not get the message that it showed that violence solved things. If ANYTHING the opposite....it showed why it was not nice to DO those things. They learned young to use words and to not use violence.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:43 AM on Apr. 10, 2011