At what age is it ok to let a kid sleep with a small stuffed animal? a blanket? a pillow?

I know babies aren't supposed to sleep with anything in their crib at all and by age 3 or 4 kids typically have these items, but what is the guideline for when it's ok to start adding them?

CaliforniaStorm

Asked by CaliforniaStorm at 10:05 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• When they can roll front to back and back to front. My DD had those things by 5 mos.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I don't think there is a set age. My 14 month old sleeps with a blanket and a small pillow(she sleeps in a crib). My 4 yr old and 2 yr old sleep with stuffed animals, blanket and pillow(they are in twin beds)
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• my daughter has had those things since 4 months, and no she wasn't rolling over but she was able to lift her chest and she would stomp to get to the other end of her crib
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 10:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I agree I don't think there is a set age....my son has had his blank since he was born. That what I would wrap him in.
    Sassy_mommy07

Answer by Sassy_mommy07 at 10:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Thanks! I've been feeling guilty letting my hyperactive 6 mo old sleep with a small stuffed animal, but it helps her fall back to sleep in the middle of the night.
    CaliforniaStorm

Comment by CaliforniaStorm (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• well i would say around year and half 2 but really more important is like how deep of a sleeper and things they are so if the blanket or animal does get in there face how easy will they wake up and move it
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Don't ever feel guilty for finding something that makes your child feel comfortable and secure.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• All 5 of mine had blankets and stuffed animals from birth. They were swaddled in the same quilt that belonged to my husband when he was a baby until they hated swaddling. Then it was just tucked around them. They got pillows around 1 year old.
    My almost 9mo sleeps with several blankets and has a stuffed animal and a stuffed doll in his bed. He's also sleeps with a pillow when he sleeps on the floor. He has a little throw pillow that he lays on (usually on his tummy) but was resting on a regular pillow from the time he was a month old.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:05 PM on Apr. 7, 2011