Drug testing for public assistance recipients???? Read a little.

http://www.aclu.org/drug-law-reform/drug-testing-public-assistance-recipients-condition-eligibility

very interesting article!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I didn't read the article but YES I think they should all have to go for drug tests.
    Here in Canada they help addicts alot more then people who really NEED it.
    I'm sorry, but I don't think someone who abuses the system should get welfare.
    (I have family members in the comments above)
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 10:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• No disrespect but that's an old article. Also there is so much more at stake when you do this. If one parent tests positive, and the other doesn't, what happens to the children? Do they get to stay in the home with the drug free parent, or are they charged with endangerment and the kids are wards of the state? There are too many things to consider. I'm not on PA, I once was many yrs ago because my deadbeat ex didn't want to work, and wanted to sneak around and get high, and I had 3 under the age of 6 at home, and was babysitting for income. When I could finally afford to boot him out, I got on my feet, but so many can't. Like I said there's too much at stake.
    Anonymous

• haven read the article but I would say yes they should get drug tested before they resive welfare. Why not? You have to do the same when you aplly for most jobs. And it would hurt to do it. Caus ethere are a lot of people out there who abuse it and dont go and buy food but go and buy drugs. And why feed this addiction? If there are kids involved and one of teh parents test positive they would need to go to rehab.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 10:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• This has been discussed here over and over again. And that is an old article. I disagree with drug testing for welfare, people would just waste more tax dollars, and good drug addicts know how to piss clean, and just drink beer.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Drug testing costs more than we already pay for assistance, and the VAST majority of people would pass the test. Who do you think is going to pay for it???
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Absolutely! If you are wanting assistance, then you should have to take a drug test to be eligible for it. If one parent test positive and the other doesn't. Then the positive drug user needs to be out of the home. Could this break up a family? Sure it could, but is drug use around or in front of this kids any better? There are those out there that truly need it, and if its need bad enough then the parents need to decide what's more important, drugs or the well being of their children. So many people out there bust their tails and need help, but are rejected, but lets be a crack smoking junkie and hey have all the assistance you need. I am currently employed full time, and I make good money, but I still need help at times for medical care. I have insurance, but it only covers so much and after bills I can't always afford the copays, deductibles, etc. I have skipped medical procedures for me so that my child can be treated
    fnmmom

Answer by fnmmom at 10:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I get assistance and I would definitely go through the process of submitting a drug test. It would cost money to test everyone but think of all the people who wouldn't get it if they had to take a drug test. I think that would really balance everything out lol so.
    BUT if you test positive on a drug test i dont think that should effect if your kids get medical assistance because, i mean really, their parents are doing drugs they should at least be able to go to the doctor. poor kids. :/
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I think if you are applying for TANF then yes you should be tested. That's cash. Now, if you're applying for foodstamps, housing assistance, or medicaid I don't see a need for them to get tested. I also think that if you are on assistance and are applying for jobs (like you should be) and you turn down a job because it requires a drug test or if you fail that drug test that they should take away your benefits..
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 10:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I did not read the article but I think it would should be necessary, and if they test positive they should be sent to to court ordered rehab.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• How about actually arming their dang case managers with the ability to actually do something when they know a person is coning the system... OR require someone to drug test IF they can articulate a reason for the request. I've been a case manager - I can tell you stories that'll make your short and curlies just die and fall out.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 11:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2011