Two questions...child that doesn't respond to pain? and glue stitches?

I just got out of the ER with my 2 year old. She broke a tart burner and cut her hand pretty bad on the broken glass. I couldn't get the bleeding to stop so I took her to the ER and they cleaned her up and did glue stitches.

First, she didn't cry, she didn't even seem to acknowledge it...and this is typical of her. I have NEVER seen her respond to pain. It is starting to make me nervous. In fact, I wouldn't have known right away if her sister hadn't yelled for me and said she was bleeding. She busted half her nail off several months ago pinching her finger in the door, and didn't cry then either. Falls...nothing. She will cry and yell and carry on if she is mad or sad...but never from pain. Maybe I watch too many television shows about strange diseases (yes, the "no pain" thing is one) but does anyone else have a child like this?!

Second, how do you bathe a child that young and not get the stitches wet? They said I wasn't supposed to submerge it. It is my first experience with glue stitches...could I wrap it with tape and gauze to protect it? or what do you do?

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:02 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• If the stitches are on her hand, put a bag over the hand and tape it closed and try not to submerge it.

My daughter has an unusually high pain tolerance. She had a UTI once. She didn't tell me about it until her urine was clumping out like rotten milk. I took her right to urgent care. They were gonna call CPS on me, because they said I neglected to bring her in while she say in agonizing pain. She told them that it didn't hurt and that she had just told me about it that day. It has happened with other injuries too.

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• As far as the pain goes..it's time to persue that with her pediatrician. That is not a 'normal' response. As for the stitches. Bag her hand and tape it at the wrist and try to bathe her quickly without getting it wet. Then just use a washcloth to clean the rest of the hand. It's only for a week or so.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• As for the bath, you could always give her a sponge bath or use very little water in the bathtub. If she is good with directions tell her it's very important for her to keep her hand on the side of the tub and not put it in the water while you wash her up.
    My friend's son can't feel pain. It has gotten him into a lot of trouble now that he's a teenager. I would suggest googling it and finding out as much as you can as possible and if you feel like it may be something she has, then consult your doctor on what to do and how to keep her safe.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 11:08 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• you need to address this w/ your pediatrician right away.  The pain thing sounds serious

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:10 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I brought it up with the doctor at the ER, and he did not take me seriously at all. He would just say "oh, a tough cookie, we will get her lidocaine anyway...its just topical" like I was just trying to refuse pain meds for her or something. All I wanted to say was "no you jackass...she didn't mind getting her hand sliced open or her nail ripped off...I wasn't worried about the medicine!"

It does scare me that she will really be hurt, that I wont see it, and that she wont tell me...as in a broken bone or something someday!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 11:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I'd discuss it with her dr. but it just might be she's a child you'll have to keep an eye on. Our adult son has a high pain tolerance level. As a child, he'd get hurt and be bleeding and we wouldn't know it unless we saw it. Some people just do have a high tolerance for pain but I'd discuss it with her dr. just to make sure it's not something more.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• The ER Dr. doesn't know what her history is, so it isn't uncommom for them to brush that off. You do need to pursue this with her ped dr though. You should voice your concerns and let them know that you are serious. If you don't get the results that you are looking for, then go to another dr until you are happy with what the dr tells you.
    swmmra

Answer by swmmra at 7:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2011