Child tracking device.

I'm thinking about buying one of these for my daughters. The one i looked at was $200 for the device and $25/month. All sites associated with these mentioned that there are areas that are out of service. That sounds sketchy to me. They say that you should check your area code to see if you're in a covered area, but if a child is abducted, they will most likely be taken far away from home. Does any one have any person experience with these or know someone who has? Do they work well? What are the chances of it malfunctioning in an emergency? Do they give any indication that it is being tracked, because that would be very unsafe. Any information would be appreciated. Please don't leave a post saying you know nothing about it. Only useful information.

TiffanieK

Asked by TiffanieK at 11:02 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Technology

• I know nothing about it.
    Anonymous

• you think child abduction is funny and your on a websites for caring moms, what's the point?
    TiffanieK

Comment by TiffanieK (original poster) at 11:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• ow do they work? How do you track your child? You put something around tehre arm? haven heard about it sorry just curiouse
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 11:09 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• lol how do you figure they think child abduction is funny? they just said "i know nothing about it" obviously theyre just collecting points for 'answering" a question.
    and personally i would consider those thigns a scam. if its one of those watches, the abductor can just take that device off your child anyway. and the whole, going into areas that aren't covered, thats sketchy i mean, how well does your cellphone work in your own home half the time you know what I mean?? (i get horrible cell service by a huge national provider so how would those small companies cover large enough areas with those devices)
    however, it couldn't hurt to try.
    Anonymous

• it almost looks like a watch. they have one you can buy that takes two hands to remove so the child can't take it off without help. Apparently, you have to file a missing person report, then call the service provider for the tracker. Then they verify with the police and set off the tracking device and it sends off a signal that they can track. I'd rather have something that i could look at wherever i want to see where she is.
    TiffanieK

Comment by TiffanieK (original poster) at 11:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I was told that you better be careful what you buy cause some of them do not work.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 11:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Interesting question, and I would be interested in something like this too. But your right, I wouldn't want to have to go through the police. My concern about the "watch" thing is, what if someone ELSE takes it off? Like an adult? Maybe someone else knows about this. Going to be watching this post and giving you a bump!
    CollegeMommy121

Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 11:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Oh yes, I said it was funny. I didn't think I did, but now that I read it, I did say that. You're right. I stated exactly that......
    Anonymous

• collegemommy, i was wondering the same thing about the abductor recognizing it. They had one that was disguised as a watch, so i thought that one was a good idea. but that one didn't have the band that the kids couldn't take off.
    TiffanieK

Comment by TiffanieK (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• like someone said before if its a watch they could just take it off, the bad people probably know about thoese things too.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 11:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2011