Why is staying at home a traditional way to live?

why is it assumed by some that being a stay at home mom and dad going to work the traditional way to live? I think each family and each person makes their own traditions the way they see fit.

I am open minded and whichever works for your family is fine but staying home may be your tradional way of living but its not for everyone.

how does everyone feel about that?

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 11:14 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• You know, judgemental responses from high and mighty stay at home moms.....you know the ones, like this gem..

yes there is babysitting. We can pay someone else to help raise our children. Take out...yep and that's so healthy and cheap. Money, sad that money is more important to some than their children(talking people who could afford to have a SAHM but choose not to so they don't have to sacrifice).

Only lead me to think its a good thing they stay home. Because they obviously lack the intelligence to be successful doing something that requires a brain. working moms value money over their kids? Well excuse me but that's being a fucking dumbass, judgemental bitch that is passing that ignorant shit to your kids. I hope you don't have a daughter that may one day need to work. because I'm sure she will be aware that her mother thinks she is a greedy, absent, self absorbed mom. nice parenting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Now, we have bottles and breast pumps and formula and the "stay at home dad" was born. There is no "right" way to make a family, everything works and produces good people. But if we're talking about why it's traditional... well, biology is the answer lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• It's not OUR tradition. Therefore, it is not THE tradition. It is SOME people's tradition.
    Anonymous

• because that is the way women and babies are made. Infants are made to be breastfeed(we are talking biologically, not whether people do this or not). Men just don't have the right equipment! Also women are more empathetic than men, just the way it is. And lets go way way back in history. Men were hunters, women the gatherers. Pretty hard to watch kids when you are hunting.

Anonymous

• I am a stay at home mom that just got a degree. It wasn't my longterm plan to stay home. It has worked for us so far. My son is older and I have more options now. I think it's great if one parent can stay home with kids while they're little. Whatever works...
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 11:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• For most of mankind's history we were nomads and men and women shared in the work equally, following herds of bison or deer or carabu. Then, once agriculture was discovered, women gathered, mended, tended children, cooked etc etc while men hunted, not because one job was more important than the other, but because men are usually physically stronger, and cannot nurse children. When the hunting was done they helped out with the gathering. As civilization progressed, so did gender roles. Usually, when it is possible, women have "stayed home" so to speak because they are biologically capable of caring for children, who cannot go out ranging with their mothers. A baby can't nurse from their father, so it just developed that women stay with the children and do the work "at home" while men do the work "away". It just makes the most sense. CONT
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• As an educated woman in an in-demand, flexible and lucrative field, I could not imagine staying at home FT. In addition, many of us can and do work PT or off hours, thereby almost eliminating the need for daycare. When our kids were little, they were cared for by mom or their dad. What lucky kids to have parents that both worked and contributed financially AND parented. We do not think anything less of dads who are working to support the family; discredit their "parenting" contribution, and the same should apply to moms. Since my kids are now grown, educated, healthy, happy and contributing, I'll continue to speak positively of families who go beyond what some would consider, "traditional". Quality parenting, childcare, families and values count far more than the amount of time spent-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• ITA To each her own. It cost more for me to work than it does for me to stay home. When I was working nothing got done at the house, I felt like I lost all my time with my kids. Who wants to see their kids for 2 hours before they go to bed each night and that's it? Not me. Since I've been staying home things have gotten better for the kids as far as now they're allowed to play sports after school and I can attend school functions with them, most of the house cleaning gets done. But I also got very lucky that my DH makes more than enough to support all of us and that I have this opportunity.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 11:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I don't really see why it's considered 'traditional' either. I don't consider myself very 'traditional' but I'm a SAHM because that's what works for my family right now. I'm also in college training for a new career that will be more flexible once my kids hit school age, because that's what will work best for my family in a couple of years.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:36 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• It's just a polite way of saying "old fashioned" when it's not. It's just common. I don't see why people have a problem with it. I really don't. It costs more for both parents to work than it does for one to work because then you gotta worry about the cost of child care. Another bill! Who wants another bill! Not trying to diss the working moms because I admire them. I really do. But when you're just starting out and your kids are little, it's better to stay home with them. That's JMO

Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2011