did you know???that!

united states of american does not have an official language????

we accept all.
we're a diverse country

The United States does not have an official language;[2] however, the majority of the population speaks English as a native language (about 82%.) The variety of English spoken in the United States is known as American English; together with Canadian English it makes up the group of dialects known as North American English. 96% of the population of the U.S. speaks English "well" or "very well".[3] There have been several proposals to make English the national language in amendments to immigration reform bills.[4][5] None of these bills have become law with the amendment intact.

did you know that we do not have an official language? or did you just assume we did?
not being rude, im just curious as to who knew that or who didnt know that and thought english was the official language.

KelsoBabeyy

Asked by KelsoBabeyy at 4:37 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I did not know that - I just assumed that English was the "official" language of the US.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I know we don't have an official language. Its because we are the melting pot. They take a little of what is here (visitors and citizens) and we take a little of their culture as well. I've also heard our country described more like a salad bowl than a melting pot. Either way it all gets tossed together. I think we are the better off for it.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• They are talking about this on another question,
    Anonymous

• Theyre actually talking about who THINKS people coming here SHOULD speak English.. my question was different.

thanks though :)
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:47 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I'm actually surprised. I thought english was the official language. My dad is a full blooded Yupik Eskimo and when he was a kid they took all the kids age 5 and up and made them live in mission schools where they were forced to learn english and would get spanked for speaking Yupik. They were only allowed to go home on the weekends because they feared that the native language spoken at home would interfere with what the schools were teaching them. My dad was born in 1951 so this has happened in the not so distant past.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 5:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Yes as of right now we DONT have one! But we need one! I think that if i was visiting another country it would be ok not to know the language but, if I moved there, I should learn it! JMO
    I think we should make english the language here!
    eykelley

Answer by eykelley at 5:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• A couple of years ago, my sister bought a dictionary for my daughter. In it is stated: "the official language of the United States of America is English AND Spanish!" [Emphasis added.] I do not agree with Spanish being an official language of the US. It is ENGLISH!!!!

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 5:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I knew we didn't have one and I don't know why they don't just make it English since the huge majority speak it...I just don't know what the benefit would be to assigning one. I mean if we all pretty much speak it (and I for one don't have a problem with those who don't...I mean having 4 languages of instructions on my crib doesn't bother me one bit) what is the benefit of having one set? I'm really not trying to be faceceous, I really am curious to what it would do to have one set?
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• English IS NOT the official language of the United States, but it should be. Lots of people can't get jobs now unless they are English/Spanish bi-lingual, but actually as long as they speak Spanish the bi-lingual is conveniently forgotten. If you go in to pay your bill or ask a question, they have to run around trying to find someone who speaks English, sometimes they can't find anyone. Try communicating with the cashier of the store when she speaks no English and you speak no Spanish. I'm not racist, but I am sure as hell tired of PRESS ONE FOR ENGLISH! I'm even more tired of "Help wanted, Bilingual required".
    Anonymous

• good maybe all those racist people can stop saying " speak english ur in america now". they sound like a broken record.
    mexicu

Answer by mexicu at 7:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2008