Why is it so hard to get them to do the things they need to do

cleaning, laundry, etc.

Diane21

Asked by Diane21 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• BAHAHA I dont know but when you find the answer will you let me know? I have a 19 yr old and she doesnt do anything in her house or mine when I ask. Its like pulling teeth! My other teens are the same way. In fact one just brought me his laundry because he "forgets" how the washer works.

Answer by gemgem at 4:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• start crying... that used to make me feel so bad when my mom told me how tired she was of having to pick up after me! Got me every time.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 4:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• ????????????????Who are you talking about??????????????????????

Answer by louise2 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Most are spoiled. Nothing is required since birth. It is almost too late at eighteen years old. This is not the real world. Get tough. Don't cave by doing the laundry for them. If there are no clean clothes that might put them in gear to take care of their own needs.
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 5:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Well I'm not that far off from being a kid lol I'm 21. But it's cuz they think it will get done for them and some of them probley really just don't care
    Anonymous

• Just to tell you it is so your fault, sorry if you keep doin things for them they expect it. I speak from watching my mom do everything but literally wipe my sisters ass,lol. She is 32 and my mom has to give her a wake up call for her to get up with her children, and then goes over there so she can take them to school, she has a car but still has my mom drive 15 miles over there to do it for her. Every need my sister and brother for that matter was met, my brother gets his laundry done by her and he is 25 and out of the house. YOu have to let them do for them selves and so what if the wear dirty clothes they are the ones that are goin to be embarressed. By the way I am 29 and my mother has never done for me what she does for them go figure that one out. Middle child i guess we always get left out. oh well least i dont have to call mommy for anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• You may need to restrict them or take things from them. Teenagers HATE that! My youngest is 22. She moved back home and for some reason forgot how to clean house! This time, I leave her a list of chorse every day. If any of them are not done, I take something away from her. Cell phone, Car, clothes, curling irons, make up, not let them hang out with friends. If her room is dirty I lock her out for a day. If she doesn't clean the kitchen, she is not allowed to eat. Yes, you have to treat them like children. You must be persistant, and never give in. You are the Queen of your castle!
    3girlsma

Answer by 3girlsma at 4:56 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• My 20-yo daughter and I are now room-mates. I am on disability now, and work an internet job at home while my daughter works full-time away from the house. She's learned that if she "doesn't do it!", that I will because I don't like a messy or dirty house. My mom gets on my case about it and says I'm not doing her any favors in life by cleaning up after her. However, I told Mom recently the following: #1) Laurie is a lot better than other room-mates I've had in the past (including ex-'s); #2) She isn't really "messy", she just doesn't realize that the house needs to be cleaned even when you're "not home" to mess it up; #3) There are a lot more important things to gripe about, especially with the holidays. I would hate to make a big stink about dividing the chores right before Christmas and have that be something that she would always remember in the future and associate with the holiday season.
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• just stop doing it for them.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 3:25 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Because they have to... being told to do stuff is never fun... try not trying for a couple months... just bit your tounge and maybe they'll get sick of the mess and having no clean clothes and do it themselves!!!
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 3:09 PM on Dec. 21, 2008