How did you start your "life changing" eating habits?

How long ago was it?
What do you eat on a typical day?

vjoaquin

Asked by vjoaquin at 11:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I kind of cut foods out one at a time over a few years. I used to eat a lot of fast food in highschool. I mean like literally once a day or more because we ate off campus. so.
    I don't eat fast food besides subway and every so often I cave and get a little burrito from taco bell or i go to panda express.
    i started weight watchers at once point and found out that a panda bowl of fried rice and orange chicken was worth 28 points! that was my entire day of points! so i rarely eat there anymore :c and when i do i get the kids size one lol
    and i've battled off and on with not drinking pop. its so bad for you. even diet soda makes you gain weight.
    sparkpeople.com is so great because they give you meal plans!!! and a grocery list! and they have their own website of just recipies.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I never did . I am not a fast food fan as I was never allowed it growing up, not even soda pop. My tastes in food have changed a little over the years , I now eat more fruit and less chocolate and enjoy spicy foods which i never had when young . i now eat rice and cous cous a lot as sustitutes for potato , but i still love home-made french fries . I never had a real weight problem , maybe because i never ate fast food apart from the occasional pizza and only ever have one full cooked meal a day . . No soda pop in the house , just fruit juices . I should mention I am addicted to hot strong tea, milk, no sugar .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 11:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I don't remember how long ago it was...but I started off by doing research online, about "super foods" and the best things a person could eat for maximum health. Luckily, there isn't much I like... so my current diet is full of whole grains, vegetables, anti-oxidant fruits, and low fat proteins...however, I never entirely cut out any foods..no matter how "bad".. and once in awhile, allow myself a real treat, otherwise if you deny yourself certain things..you will end up bingeing on them. And walking is key to fitness and health... if I feel like doing nothing else in a day..I make myself walk.. at least 15 minutes..
    goodi2shooz

Answer by goodi2shooz at 12:01 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• When I could not stand the way I looked. But it did not really kick in until my DH cancer scare.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 4:07 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Very gradually. I started buying whole wheat bread instead of white, brown rice instead of white. stopped buying boxed food and started cooking more. Substituted beans for meat in 1 meal a week, then 2, then 3 and so on. Tried a new recipe once a week or every other week. Started using fresh spinach instead of lettuce, cut out soda. I can't do fastfood anymore...it's been so long. the thought of it turns my stomach. I stopped buying boxed cereal and started getting up early enough to make us actual breakfast (either eggs w/ veggies or steel cut oatmeal) reading labels, staying away from transfats (read hydrogenated oil, even if it says 0 transfats) high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup anything like that.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:44 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I got diagnosed with type II diabetes. I've just had my five year "diaversary" and at this point I don't even think about it. For breakfast I have oatmeal, lunch is a Lean Cuisine or other carb-controlled frozen meal, snacks are high protein cheese or yogurt, I rarely eat dessert.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:44 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I just jumped in and got rid of white starches. I was never a fast food person or fried food person so i didn't have to cut that out. Sweets were hard for me to cut out and they still are but I made sure i ate sugar free chocolate pudding, jello and things of that nature when my sugar cravings hit. i eat lots of salads but i keep them very interesting by adding lots of yummy veggies and even fruit. i eat lots of lean meat like chicken and turkey and fish.
    I also make sure i eat breakfast every morning, even if it's just a whole wheat English muffin. I try not to start my day with a starch, even a healhty one but sometimes that's all i feel like eating and that's okay.
    Mrsorr

Answer by Mrsorr at 2:20 AM on Apr. 9, 2011