I recently had 3 elderly and incontinent animals pass away... they left behind years of abuse to my carpet..can I EVER get that smell out?

goodi2shooz

Asked by goodi2shooz at 12:03 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Pets

• lol..i was thinking that might be my only hope...in the meantime though>>....?
    goodi2shooz

Comment by goodi2shooz (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• No. There is no real way to get the animal urine smell out. The carpet is destroyed. You are going to need to replace the carpet and padding. Also, you are going to need to clean the concrete underneath thoroughly.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Rent one of those vacuuming machines to shampoo your carpet.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• i'm with gomezmama2908. rent a carpet shampoo machine or have it steam cleaned until you replace it. my parents have a similar problem, but with a stubborn puppy who refuses to be potty trained.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 12:15 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• just rent a shampooer for now...but honestly it gets in the padding and whenever it gets humid you will still smell it. So sorry for your loss too :( I lost my Bruiser back in November to cancer..he was becoming incontinent, but we sold our house so they got stuck with the smell :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:17 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• You can spray a mixture of vinegar, dish detergent and lemon on the rug, but you have to remove the padding underneathe to truly get rid of the smell.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 12:19 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Your biggest problem is that the urine has soaked through the carpet and into the padding and more than likely has even gotten the floor boards underneath that soaked...so you have to work on all three of them.

Get on your hands and knees with a big sponge and a bucket full of good 'ol Dawn dish washing detergent and water. Saturate the carpet to where the soapy water gets down to the floor boards. Get the sponge dripping wet, set it down on the carpet, and just use your weight to push the water down. Do this several times over and then do a light rinse so that your carpet isn't all crusty because it's full of soap. Then take OdoBan ($10 for 1 gallon at Sam's Club). Dilute in water and saturate the carpet with it doing the same thing you did with the Dawn/water mixture...except this time do not rinse.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:25 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• You may have to do this a couple times over, but I've been in your shoes and this is about all that has really worked for me...and that is working on both dog and cat urine. (It really sucks when they get old, doesn't it? I personally have been through way too many pets dying these past couple of years))

If that does not work, then my next step would be to rip the carpet up and apply a specific type of primer to the floor boards (not recalling the name, but your vet should know...or maybe even Lowe's paint department). Then put the carpet back down.

Other than that, yeah...things will have to be replaced. Good luck to you and so sorry for your loss!!!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:29 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• replacing the carpet wil be the only sure way. The smell won't come out. GL
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I found this on a website yesterday. Our rental smells of dog and now our male cat has sprayed every where too. The guy who posted this says he worked in a pet store and this is suppose to be tried and true.

Mix 3 parts water with 1 part vinegar Saturate entire area and let it set for a little while then bloat dry. Sprinkle with Baking Soda Mix 3/4 cup hydrogen peroxide and a tsp of dish soap Sprinkle over baking soda Work in with a brush Allow to dry then vacuum Repeat if necessary. 

Not sure how this will work or how good it will be on large areas.  I am going to try it myself today. Good luck!

CandyceG

Answer by CandyceG at 7:21 AM on Apr. 11, 2011