What would you do???

I just found out that my 13 yr old is paying for protection from bullies in school. Instead of buying lunch he is paying two boys to help keep the bullies away from him.

Needless to say I am livid! The first 8 weeks of school my son was bullied 6 times. After completing all their forms, writing to the State, board of ed and the school itself and endless meetings I thought we had it under control. What would you do?

Onmyown2727

Asked by Onmyown2727 at 12:11 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I would go to the school...demand a meeting with those kids and their parents and make it clear that if their kid bullies yours you will seek legal action....that has helped at schools around here. children have a right to go to school without the worries of that stuff.
    Alysteph

Answer by Alysteph at 12:15 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Sign him up for self defense class and let him teach the bullies he isn't to be messed with. When I was younger and bullied I stood up for myself and taught each one a personal lesson. As I got older, I found that people stopped the bullying if I stood my ground. As a girl, I taught boys and girls that trying to look tough actually made them wimpy. Most bullies have home issues or are bullied by others. So the kids doing the bullying really need to sit down face to face with your kid and find out what really is going on. Once they find out each others side, things usually work out.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 12:16 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I'm not sure but that is so sad :( I really hope you can find a way to help him because that could cause long term emotional damage if it is serious enough that he is going to the extent of paying for safety. You could try putting him in another school or home schooling.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 12:16 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I cannot believe it, I feel so bad for your son. It's outrageous that the school hasn't been much help to you. Have you thought about switching schools? Talking to the bullies parents? Getting a protection order for you son?
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• OMG paying someone for protection is paying a bully too! If there is ANY way possible...go have lunch with your son periodically. Could you get a group of parents that could rotate days? I know with budget cuts alot of schools cut lunchroom monitors You may also talk with the principle about someone (adult or a highschooler) coming in and role playing as the bully. EX he or she walks inthe lunch room and just sits next to someone and starts taking food off their tray....moving telling another give me a quarter and I will let you keep that cupcake. This bullying bs needs to be nipped in the bud! No one wants to admit their kid IS the bully but as parents they need to own up!
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 12:17 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My husband teaches numerous kids how to defend themselves. He's a martial Arts instructor. but he also teaches self confidence. the one thing he always tells his kids is " they can say and talk about you all they want, but NO BODY, NO BODY has the right to touch you, once they touch you it is assault, then you defend yourself with what you've been taught" with that said if going to the school and the principle and the board has done nothing I would go to the police and file a complaint on harassment and or assault, then maybe the school will take you seriously. if this were adults at work that is what they would do..

ninja

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 12:18 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Teach your child to defend himself I think that is one of the good ways
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:19 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Call the police if the principal doesn't do anything. Is there a school resource officer at the school? They are sworn police officers and can help too. If that doesn't work, threaten with an attorney and suit for failure to protect your child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• If it works I'd keep doing it but I'd probably do something out of the ordinary like send the School District a bill for SECURITY. I'd also send a copy to the newspaper and tv station to make the point known in the community. I'm just like that. Of course I'd also but the bill in my receipts for cost of caring for my child and have it deducted on my taxes. You could talk with him about taking a defense course of some kind but with kids bullying with guns nowadays I'm not sure that would help either. Is putting him in a private school an option?

Answer by admckenzie at 11:13 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I agree with the ninja poster! I'd see about getting your son into martial arts, but don't keep quiet with the school about it.

curious, the boys he's paying, are they extorting them or did he hire them as bodyguards?

good luck!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 8, 2011