Is it natural for tweens to have as much attitude as teens?

now that my "perfect little happy princess" has turned 12, she's all attitude...rolls her eyes or sighs or says "yes mother" in that exasperated voice... and already thinks she knows everything.... isn't it too soon?

goodi2shooz

Asked by goodi2shooz at 12:32 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• It's never too soon. If she's in middle school, yes it is time that they start. She's just practicing. Wait a couple of years, then you will see what she really is going to be like. Good Luck! I never got my teens figured out.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Nope it's definitely not too soon. I think tweens can be worse than teenagers. It's a bumpy ride but just remember to love and laugh and you will get through it...and your daughter will too.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 7:42 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Definitely not too soon. In my experience it started right around 11 and lasts through about 13/14. My oldest is 16 still has a little attitude but its typically a more exasperated kind of thing. If I ask him to do something sometimes he'll get right up and do it, other times he'll sigh and other times he'll say I already know.
    Now my newly 13 he likes to argue about everything, Has an excuse for everything, it's pretty much very trying...the other day I wanted to strangle him. I was able to contain myself. I'm hoping I can get him to 14 and it will be all better. We'll see.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 7:57 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My ds is 11 and lately has been so frustrating nothing makes him happy,complains about everything,bad mood all the time.he has always been a great kid so I was unprepared for this crap so early on(he is my oldest)but I just try to not take it personally.I know it's hormones and just take it a day at a time as I know it will probably get worse as he turns into a teenager.good luck to you and me both!
    sarah389

Answer by sarah389 at 8:42 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My DD is all attitude! She can be a handfull but I have to blame her father for allowing her to do it. I told her I was going to start groundingher for every time she backtalks or similar or doesn't do as she is told. I am so done with it. Her father is an enabler too so that doesn't help.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 9:46 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My son started with that attitude about age 9 and has gotten worse...we still have good moments but yeah..hoping teen years this goes away...its good to be hopeful! LOL
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Ya,totally my son has been giving me attitude for quite some time now.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 2:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• She is starting to copy her friends I think but I know when my brother started middle school he stared blaring rap music calling me a b!+€# he was a really sweet brother until he turned 13 but his friends were not the best bunch of kids. He became a bit of a bully and if he was mean to me my mother would take his side and tell me not to do whatever I did for him to be calling me names. Really sadly those sweet innocent days are over but if she does something you do not approve of be firm and don't give in.
    Cloudfairy

Answer by Cloudfairy at 3:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I think tweens have a much bigger attitude. They are kinda stuck in between teens and the younger children. They don't know where they belong and so they try to fit in. I think this creates the bigger attitude. Just talk to them and explain that they should always be true to themselves and not pretend to be someone else. It will make for a better adjustment.
    Chiqui52

Answer by Chiqui52 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• lol
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 1:56 AM on Apr. 19, 2011