What are you supposed to do if you break your tooth?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 12:37 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Health

• I just had this happen in January and what I did was call the dentist and he worked me in the next day. They took an xray, he examined the tooth and I was given the choice of doing a buildup (big filling) or a crown. I chose the crown and he had time to do the prep that day. 2 wks later my crown was done and I had it inserted.
    As a former dental assistant I knew that the crown would be the better choice- as with the amount broken off and shape of the remaining tooth structure there was no guarantee how long the buildup would last and chances are I would have needed to have the crown done anyway in the future.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:09 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• putting teeth in milk (or keeping it moist) is for teeth that are knocked out is NOT for broken teeth!
    Anonymous

• see your dentist asap. he/she will give you an antibiotic, and either do a build up or a crown.
    Wyndi

Answer by Wyndi at 10:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• If you are wanting to get it repaired, I believe you are supposed to put the broken piece in a glass of water and get to the dentist ASAP.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:41 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• If totally broken off I believe you put it into milk and bring to the dentist within an hour.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 12:41 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Put it in milk as see a dentist asap!
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 12:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2011