IMPORTANT ? could use some answers.... HEP C adult content

Some one in my SO's family was diagnosed with hep C.... what exactly is it? How do you spread it? Do i need to worry about this person coming in my home for a week long visit? Are my kids at risk? I dont want to be judgemental about someone because of a condition that they can not help but at same time I want to protect my family, my self and most of all my children.

BSumm3rs

Asked by BSumm3rs at 12:40 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• it is a blood to blood contact. Uhm like sharing razors, toothbrush, needles, having a cut etc. infectious liver disease. I would research it. but unless your family is all over this person, kissing sharing drinks (with unknown sore in mouth like any cold sores etc) you should have nothing to worry about.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 12:52 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• It is an infectious liver disease that may cause liver cancer or failure. It is spread by blood-to-blood contact. You should be fine provided there is no blood contact.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 12:42 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• LOL I don't mean to be the smartass in the bunch - but hon, you're on the computer Google it. I have 2 close friends who have HepC, and wouldn't worry about them coming into my home. I would - as a precaution, with children around - try to provide them with their own bathroom.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 1:33 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I'm not sure myself, but if it were me, I'd do some online research. WebMD would probably be able to answer all your questions and then some.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:42 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Any info is helpful. please bump my ? so I can get as many answers and opinions on this as possible! Thank You!
    BSumm3rs

Comment by BSumm3rs (original poster) at 12:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Hepatitis C is a viral disease that leads to swelling (inflammation) of the liver. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001329/

Prevention

Avoid contact with blood or blood products whenever possible. Health care workers should follow precautions when handling blood and bodily fluids.

Do not inject illicit drugs, and especially do not share needles with anyone. Be careful when getting tattoos and body piercings.

Sexual transmission is very low among stable, monogamous couples. A partner should be screened for hepatitis C. If the partner is negative, the current recommendations are to make no changes in sexual practices.

People who have sex outside of a monogamous relationship should practice safer sex behaviors to avoid hepatitis C as well as sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV and hepatitis B.

Currently there is no vaccine for hepatitis C.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• It's spread by blood.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:50 AM on Apr. 8, 2011