What's supposed to be shutting down?

I keep seeing things about the government shutting down? What exactly is supposed to be "shutting down"? What is Obama taking a leave of absense or something lol (kidding)? But really, what does this mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• All non-essential personnel will be furloughed. Most government offices will close. National parks will close.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:44 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Here's a good list:

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2011/04/politics/interactive.govt.shutdown.list/index.html
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• A budget for this year cannot be agreed upon, so non-essential services are suspended:What will NOT be closed are:
    • Air traffic controllers
    • Deployed troops
    • Airport TSA screeners
    • The U.S. Mint
    • Federal prison guards
    • Congress and the Office of the President
    • The Treasury
    • The Postal Service
    • The Border Patrol and Coast Guard
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 12:46 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I guess we won't see a big difference if if closes down, since most of the workers hardly do a thing when they show up for work. Don't stress, we've been this way for years.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 12:48 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Twinkle, you may not see a difference, but I can guarantee you that there are many who will. As in military members who are working, but not getting paid. A lot of military live paycheck to paycheck and are now going to have trouble making ends meet even more. I know that my navy DH does a hell of lot since he's up at 4:30 every day and doesn't get home until almost 7pm and that's when he's in port. Not to mention, that when he's out to sea, he's on duty 24/7. Those soldiers/sailors that are deployed over seas...I'm pretty sure that they'll have to keep working. Shipyard workers and other civilian government employees will have to work with no pay and others won't be able to go in at all. I live in a very heavily populated military area. If we are not getting paid, we won't be spending money out in the community. So, therefore, all of those business, whether they are chain business or mom and pop type places, they...
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 1:08 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• ...will lose a lot of business. So please tell me how the people won't see the impact of this? I'm very curious.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 1:10 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I agree with Kasey. My DH is a Marine, and we have a family of 6 to provide for, and may not get a paycheck. Luckily, we have some savings put away, but what about those who are living paycheck to paycheck? How will they survive? It's not as if companies for housing, utilities, credit cards, etc will let a payment get behind without a ding on the credit. Not to mention, how will they buy groceries?

Personally, I think that they should just meet in the middle and go with it. Why should people have to work and not get paid?
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 2:16 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• National Park Service
    I just read that a local Colorado sheriff's department has stated that they will be opening Rocky Mountain National Park if the govt closes down. Which means visitor centers still won't be open, nor will bathrooms be clean or Rangers be out guiding tours, but people can still come and snowshoe or hike.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:04 AM on Apr. 8, 2011