Anyone prefer the King James version of the Bible?

Or is that too old-school?

tasches

Asked by tasches at 1:19 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, I prefer it because the language is so beautiful . Modern translations read like school textbooks, so dry and matter of fact. The language used was already somewhat old fashioned when it was first published exactly 400 years ago , so in a sense it was already old school then .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:29 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Its the one I was raised with so ya, thats the version Im most comfy with(even tho now I dont read it or look at it).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:07 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I prefer to compare different versions, especially if I go to sites like biblegateway.com. I do find the NKJV hard to read and poorly translated for certain verses. I have one here at home, and it was my very first 'real' Bible (also have a children's Bible) that was given to me by my parents, so it's important to me in some ways. I also have a Good News English Version from my childhood that I find much easier to read, and this was given to me by my Presbyterian church when I was a child (so it's over 20 years old). If I want to see a newer version, I have to go online since I haven't bought any recent translations so far.

Some wonder if that version will even be around much longer....

Will the King James Bible Survive?
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:46 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• if i recall certain scripture from memory, it's most likely going to be in the poetic KJV, due to being raised reading that particular version. however, as a general read/study format, i prefer either NIV or NKJV, and i have access to various other versions, as well, for more indepth looksies.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:53 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I read the KJV every day, but I mostly use the NIV when doing my studies.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:04 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• no, i have a lot of issues with its history and how it was put together.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:43 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I primarily use the KJV. I like that the language is different from the English I use day-to-day. It helps to remind me that the things of God are not necessarily the things of the world. Also, I do find the individual verses more open to interpretation. This can make it harder to read, but I think the struggle to interpret can lead to a deeper understanding. And it's a great vocabulary builder :).
    TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I have the king james.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 3:55 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I don't prefer any of them. They all are translated so differently and the meanings are so different.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:21 AM on Apr. 8, 2011