How can i get my 5mth old to sleep without her dummy??

OK so i finally had to call in a sleep therapist for my 5mth old daughter who has been having terrible times at night with sleeping. The therapist watched me go through Kiras betime routine and the first thing she said was that i need to get rid of the dummy. She stayed for 4 hours untill 12 midnight watching what was going on and her diagnosis was the dummy.

Ok so it made sense that the 15/20 minute sleep wake cycles coincided with how long it took the dummy to fall out.

so now i hav to take it away.....any sugestions without replacing one prop for another? is it better just to throw it away and deal with whatever comes or do it slowly. Kira only ever has it to go to sleep never has it otherwise but is highly dependant on it for sleeping.

mummsey

Asked by mummsey at 1:25 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am assuming that a dummy is a pacifier?

Really there is no gradual way to eliminate it. You are going to have to take it away altogether. It will be a rough couple of nights but she will learn to fall asleep without it.

chances are, that she will start sucking fingers and you will have to deal with that later...I'm still going thru that with my 3 year old. They will grow out of it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:33 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Edwin is sometimes so fussy he will only sleep in mommy's arms. That's why I co-sleep, it gives him the comfort of mommy being right there, and me the ease of not having to jump up every hour to get him. If you have an established routine/semi-bedtime just stick to it, but be ready to comfort her through this.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 1:34 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Thanks for your replys! :)
    Well i went cold turkey on her but i took it away from her AFTER she had fallen asleep for the night not 1st thing in the morning like most ppl recomend and she sort of fussed on and off for the rest of the night but so far havnt had anymore dummy/paci related issues!! now im dealing with a baby who is ready to start solids but they too now are keeping her awake at night!! But ill post a new thread bout that.

Thanks guys!! :):):):)
    mummsey

Comment by mummsey (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Apr. 12, 2011