Why does it have to be like that?

I've struggled all of my life. Worked my butt off, waited tables, answered phones, bathed dogs, cleaned houses, worked in offices I hated, held down 2 and 3 jobs to support my kids. I have nothing to be ashamed of - so why is it that NOW that I've finally gotten to a place of being at financial peace, - why is it that people make me feel like I should be ashamed to say that I'm doing well financially? Especially on CM, the mere mention of 'not struggling financially' warrants a lot of backlash and name calling. I got referred to as a rich bitch today, and that hurt.
Is it my poor (economically disadvantaged) background that makes me feel like I should hide my success or is it really a social stigma to be better off?
(this is in relationships because it's about how I relate to others now) - I guess.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• At this particular point in history, the current backlash is against those with money & education due to the economic downturn & imaginary threats.Jealousy is an ugly, ugly thing, but rest comfortably knowing you gained all you have though your own hard work and determination. Good for you! :)
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 1:29 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I don't understand why others would put you down for being financially stable. I really think no matter what other people are always going to find things to put you down about. Best thing to do is don't let them have the satisfaction of knowing what they said got to you. No one can judge you until they have walked in your shoes. I don't blame you for venting because it is hard to deal with some of the people on here. But keep your head up and don't let them get to you. It's not like you had a rich family who handed you everything, you should be proud of yourself for making sure your kids and yourself were taken care of.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 1:34 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Thanks girls. I don't let them know that what they say hurts me, but sometimes I want to scream in their face and show them my photo albums to prove that I was born without a dime to my name. As a matter of fact my own parents are very hurtful about me having two dimes to rub together. And then there will be someone who's gonna come round and say "cry me a river, o woe is you for being rich" and crap like that. Three years ago we lost everything when the economy went south.(did't have a lot to begin with) Two years ago I lived in a double-wide that leaned to one side and had a rotted out floor in the shower. I was sacrificing every standard I had ever had to get my family back on our feet. Even sold all of our furniture at one point just to pay the rent. We did all of that to pay off all of our debts and creditors. I think I may take your advice and stop apologizing for having a dollar. We're blessed and hard workers.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:48 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• -_- haters just wanna hate.. Its sad, but totally true. Don't let them bring you down.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 5:05 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Eh, I wouldn't let it bother you, hon. I'm by no means 'rich' and I have nothing against you :) Some people are just jealous and want to be where you are but they don't wanna work their asses off to get it. Their loss! Those of us that are working really hard usually aren't jealous because we KNOW we will be right there with you one day! So, you enjoy your financial stability and don't let anybody steal your happiness.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:44 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I wouldn't let it bother you, you should be proud of yourself.
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 8, 2011