My dogs white hair, is turning red.... *pics included*

anyone know what this could be??  he is a 2 yr old maltipoo x shihtzu, his diet hasnt changed, he doesnt have fleas, he hasnt been itchy, theres no blood anywhere, he doesnt lick more than normal...this started about 2 weeks ago, i was kinda waiting to see if it would go away...but it hasnt....i have 3 dogs, and this one is the only one with the "problem"....anyone know??

alexis_06

Asked by alexis_06 at 1:30 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Pets

• Allergy or excessive licking usually the problem.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 1:34 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I have a white pit that gets that on her stomach during the summer when it is extremely hot outside... I thought it was caused from sweat which creates a breeding ground of bacteria and dirt combined . It reminds me of the red/brown fur around white dogs eyes that have long hair... I wipe it clean with a warm wash cloth it will be alittle red underneath. I let it dry up and then sprinkle cornstarch type baby powder on her tummy... it seems to create a barrier between her skin and the elements...

TraceyLu

Answer by TraceyLu at 1:52 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Does he eat pig ears or other dark pigments treats? It can stain the fur when saliva gets on their hair from simple grooming.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 1:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Try a mixture of Brewers yeast and fish oil tablets.
    BAMAROSE132322

Answer by BAMAROSE132322 at 4:59 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I agree about licking. If his food has corn, wheat, or soy (also sometimes beet pulp has been known to cause staining) in it, he may be allergic to it and causing him to itch. The only time my dog's white hair turns red is when he licks alot. He has a couple of spots on his front legs that are finally going back to white after switching him to a grain-free food (he even had this while on a food with rice as the only grain, but most dogs can tollerate rice so grain-free may not be neccessary).
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 10:12 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My dog licked from dry skin. A dog that came into the clinic just had a nervous problem and licked when noone was around.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 1:36 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• theres always someone with him tho....and really he doesnt lick any more than any other dog......
    alexis_06

Comment by alexis_06 (original poster) at 1:37 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• nope, he has never had one of those
    alexis_06

Comment by alexis_06 (original poster) at 1:46 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Sorry if this is coming off rude but you asked and were given an answer ad you're saying no that's not it. Yes it IS from licking,biting and chewing. Lots of dogs get it underneath, rumps and/or paws. Just because you don't think he's licking morethan normal doesn't mean that's not what's going on with his saliva and skin. Take him to the vet, you may have to change his food, he'll most likely have to br bathed with a medicated shampoo.
    and to the poster with the white pittie, dogs don't sweat but if that remedy is working more power to you for bringing her some relief. Sidenote the redness by the eyes is typically caused bybthe food they eat(dyes and plain crap)
    ShamrocksNroll

Answer by ShamrocksNroll at 6:50 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• mites maybe? I would take him to the vet and see what they come up with. they ccan scrape and see.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 11:03 AM on Apr. 8, 2011