Smoke smell

Does anyone know if breathing in smoke from a person's clothes is harmful to the baby? My father in law wants to visit over Christmas and he smokes a lot. He'll smoke outside but when he comes in he smells really bad from his cigarettes. It's annoying when I'm not pregnant but now that I am I don't know if it's going to be worse.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I think its the actual smoke intake that is bad not smelling it on peoples clothes. Smelling it just may bother you more being pregnant
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 5:05 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• You might be sensitive to the smell, but it won't hurt the baby. Especially in such a small dose. He'd have to be smoking in your house a lot for it to be harmful.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 5:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• MAke your FIL wear a jacket outside to smoke so the ash and smell stay off your baby. I think it is just as harmful. Smell is gas, and remnents of ash. It is toxic.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 5:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I don't think it's terribly harmful unless you are going to breathe through his smoking jacket all night. As for me, I used to HATE the smell of smoke and cigarettes but now that I'm pregnant I kind of enjoy it. Just keep your distance and explain politely that the smell irritates you if it happens:)
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 8:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• NO ITS NOT HARMFULL. MY BOYFRIEND IS A SMOKER. AS LONG AS YOU ARE NOT EXPOSED TO SECOND HAND SMOKE YOU ARE OK. THE SMELL MAY BE INTENSIFIED SINCE YOU ARE PREGNANT. IT TOOK ABOUT 6 MONTHS FOR ME TO BE REALLY BOTHERED BY THE SMELL TO WHERE IT GAVE ME A HEADACHE. SO MY BOYFRIEND WILL DRINK SOMETHING AFTER HE SMOKES OR SPRAY HIMSELF WITH COLOGNE.
    BUT DONT WORRY, EXPOSURE TO SIMPLY THE SMELL WILL NOT HURT THE BABY.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 8:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2008