Has anyone ever done a fast while breastfeeding?

If so did your milk supply drop while you were on the fast?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Fasts are not ideal while breastfeeding. However, if you keep drinking lots of water during the time you are fasting, your supply should stay up. Could you please post the reason for your fast? In all religions that fast (to my knowledge), pregnant and lactating women are excluded from fasting. However, if it's for a medical reason, you need to speak with your practitioner regarding the necessity of it.
    CPCrane

Answer by CPCrane at 10:53 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• DO NOT do that. You need to EAT in order to have a milk supply. May I ask WHY you are considering?!!? I really really hope you are not seriously considering that for your innocent child's sake!
    kazmia

Answer by kazmia at 2:09 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• OMG, a fast is not gonna kill your baby! I had to fast for 12 hours to get a blood test taken; I just made sure not to eat for 2 hours before going to bed and for 2 hours after waking up. I mean you go 7-10 hours w/o eating every night anyway! I just wouldn't make a habit out of it.
    Tkelly3

Answer by Tkelly3 at 2:32 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• And no...I don't think there was a difference in my milk supply but I only did it once and i drank a lot of water.
    Tkelly3

Answer by Tkelly3 at 2:33 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• In Judaism there are 3-4 fast days a year. Pregnant and nursing women are not allowed to participate. Just like children under a certain age are not allowed to participate. The child will suffer and that wasn't the reason for giving the fast days. In Israel, many women give birth early the day after Yom Kippur (a very important fast day) because they didn't listen to their doctors and not fast. There is no telling how many babies are going hungry when a nursing mother chooses religion on her child's well being. It's highly NOT SUGGESTED.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:47 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Oh, and the answer your question. I have never fasted while breastfeeding. Unless you count the fast we all participate in every night when we sleep. But I make sure the break the fast (breakfast) as soon as possible.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:48 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Yes, it was for a religious reason. I am a Christian and wanted to know if I'd be able to do a 3 day fast when my church does. In the Bible it says to excuse bleeding (on period) and pregnant woman from the fast...It doesn't mentoon lactation.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• No, I would not do a 3 day fast. Not while nursing. I know that for Catholics, lactation is included in the exclusions. If you were going to fast for say, a few hours for blood work, I would say go ahead but not 3 days.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 8, 2011