My daughter is not wanting to take a bottle what to do?

I start work tomorrow and our four month old is not taking the bottle. She has taken it before but now she will not. I have tried both breastmilk and formula. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Angie_F

Asked by Angie_F at 2:08 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter never was and still isn't very fond of the bottle but sometimes having someone else give her the bottle helped. They can smell you and would rather have the real thing than a rubber nipple! Anyway try different nipples, my baby really likes the soothie nipple the best. Also the first few weeks it helped to warm the nipple in a glass of hot water first. Hope this helps : )
    Tkelly3

Answer by Tkelly3 at 2:23 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• P.S. If you nurse her right before you leave and right when you get back even if she won't take a bottle she'll be alright. Maybe a little fussy but she'll survive!
    Tkelly3

Answer by Tkelly3 at 2:25 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My aunt had the same issue. We had whoever was feeding baby wear a shirt of hers so they smelled like mommy...
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 2:32 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Nurse her before you leave. Leave the BM bottle with the sitter to give her. Also try a sippy or straw cup or regular cup and she may like that. She "can" go all day without if you let her nurse all night against you while you sleep. It's called marathon nursing. Your breasts and milk will adjust to her schedule and make more at night for her. It doesn't really matter WHEN she gets it throughout the day, only matters that she gets ENOUGH during 24hours.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:28 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• have someone else try to give it to her at a time that she isnt super hungry and do it in a place other than where she is nursed
    EricaLaShay1025

Answer by EricaLaShay1025 at 10:38 AM on Apr. 8, 2011