Does CIO ever get easier?

It seems to be the only thing that works but it's so hard to do. Does anything make it easier?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 2:14 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• For most kids it does get easier.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• how old is your child that your letting cio? it depends on the age and their ability to understnad it
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:39 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• 8 months we've been doing this for about three weeks.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 2:41 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My dd was that old when I tried CIO. She did well for two weeks. The first three days were hard, then she started just whining in bed instead of full out crying. Two weeks later (I think she started teething again) she was right back to full on screaming for an hour. I guess I could have just stuck with it, but I couldn't Imagine just letting her cry for that long every time she went through a milestone or teething. She's now 23 months and still cosleeping. She gets a new bed for her bday and baby number two is going to sleep in the crib from day one. The difference is I was working with Dd, but now that we'll have two, my check wouldn't cover daycare costs, so I'll be staying at home, and more able to wake up at night to breastfeed. Dd started cosleeping at 6 weeks when I went back to work and became a walking zombie :P
    Flippindadaisie

Answer by Flippindadaisie at 3:38 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• We tried cosleeping all he does is play or squirm and then no one gets any sleep.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 3:40 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• To male it easier, make sure the nap and bedtimes are consistent and early enough. Make sure your feeding them enough in the night hours and choose a really good bedtime routine. Even after I stopped trying the CIO method, I still kept up the bedtime routine and the times for nap/bed. If really helps keep your child happy when they are getting good sleep :) good luck!
    Flippindadaisie

Answer by Flippindadaisie at 3:41 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I agree that you need a consistent sleep time routine that you do each and every time. And it should get easier. One mom I know uses a noise machine and finds it helpful. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:31 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• NO! If it gets easier to neglect your child - maybe you shouldn't have one! Children cry because they NEED YOU. Denying them when they need you is neglect - Period! There are much better, much more loving ways to get your children to sleep without abandoning them!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• 8 months is def too young to cio. ask a pediatrician when a child is able to even comprehend "going to bed" that is when you should start to do something even close to cio.

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Actually it worked finally so thanks for the advice to the contrary I guess but it worked.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 10:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2011