Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ist possible to add mothers last name to child name and make it hyphenated ?(on birthcertificate and etc of papers)?

I am trying to figure out if I can give my last name to my 1st born son, he is already 6yrs old and I didnt know that I could have given him my last name too when we did the papers at the hospital and only gave him his bio-father last name (my ex).
I found out I could of have given him my last name because my fiance told me when our son was born, and he thou it would be cool and i loved the idea. Ever since then I have wonder if I can still add my last name to my 1st born even thought the papers have been done for soo long.
If I can, which I have found out you can but not enough info, do I just go to the courthouse and tell them that or is there more to it ? such as alot of paper work and will I need to ask the bio-father which I have no clue where hes at, not even child support cant find him, so I truly hope I dont have to need his signature or anything from him to give my son my last name because I just want to add my last name to his birthcertificate and every other paper.

Sorry - didnt knw where to put this question :-(


Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Yes, you'll have to apply for a new social security card and they'll want to know the reason for the name change, contact vital records in your city for more infor. My maiden name was Kelly-Thompson, now it's Kelly-Carter. I will say though, hyphenated names are a pain in the butt! Files get lost, it's hard putting your name into many electronic systems (it says it's invalid etc.), plus it makes for a loooong singature!
    But, it can be done!

    Answer by Tkelly3 at 2:53 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

  • Yes, I did it with my daughter.

    Answer by GomezMami2908 at 2:53 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

  • You need the birth father's written approval to do it, OR an order from the Court to change the child's name.

    Answer by laird6372 at 5:43 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

  • I happen to be Latina and do have hyphenated name and it means alot to me as well my son who happens to wonder why he doesnt have my last name as well, meaning he would like to as well.
    And I You may want to read the questions Again before telling me "draw attention into divorce" when did I said I was married or got divorce??
    As well ... when did I ask for an opinion on if I should give my son a hyphenated name or if it was only for the wife? I ask "HOW it can be done, the process" not an opinion if I should.

    Thank you everyone else for the answers and tips :-) I truly appreciated.


    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2011