why is she waking up @ 4 am?

my baby is 4 months old and has always been a great sleeper. but lately shes getting up @ 4 am for no reason. should i be feeding her? I have been feeding her but thats the only way shell go back to sleep. i dont want to establish a 4 am routine what else could i do?

scanamey77

Asked by scanamey77 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's funny, just before my son turned 4 months and seemed to be getting close to sleeping through the night, a friend with a one year old warned me that right around 4 months, babies often start to wake up earlier again. (her pediatrician told her this.) and like clockwork, at 4 months, my son started waking up most nights, usually between 12-3 a.m.

at his 4 month check-up my pediatrician said that by that age, babies actually don't need nutrition during the night any longer, and that if he does wake in the night, we should try to soothe him back down without feeding him. easier said than done! we tried, but much of the time i ended up feeding him so he wasn't up all night. the good news is, at 6 months now, he's waking early less often. if he does wake before 5:00, i try to let him cry a little, and he usually drops back off after a few minutes.
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 11:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• She's probably going through a growth spurt and needs the extra feeding to get through it. I wouldn't deny her and keep feeding her until she starts sleeping again. It probably won't last forever, but her body is definetely telling her something and that's why she's waking up...most likely hungrey.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 5:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• My little girl has done this a few times. Usually she has an ear infection or something, and once shes better, shes back to normal sleeping patterns.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 6:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2008