Did you need help in learning to bottlefeed?

Ok I know we hear about all the time about learning to breastfeed(no this is not a rant against bfing), but to be honest I had an easier time finding help to breastfeed then in learning how to bottlefeed. I mean there's the basic stuff on how to mix it that's written on the can but I mean the more complicated stuff. Things like sterilization what it is and how often you need to do it or even how, or how long is the formula good for.
I know now but it was kind of a combo of the similac website and trial and error because I was one of the first in my family to bottlefeed since 1965 and the breastfeeding rate around here is 80%.
My Mother could show me latching and how to nurse a baby under a t-shirt and not look like your doing that but couldn't tell me if you could wash bottles in the dishwasher(I get frustrated because my MIL still takes them out of the dishwasher because she doesn't think they can). It get's out that I'm a bottlefeeder and it's like I'm a curiousity. I mean the conversation generally goes like this when like ladies from church come over: "So how's bfing going?" "We're bottlefeeding actually." and then they get a slightly confused kind of why look on there face and say "oh why?" and then you have to go into your medical history(which is bad when a main reason you stopped bfing is a painful letdown reflex). I'm not saying I mind it sometimes I just wish there was a bit more support or at least company in this because every now and again it does get a little lonely.

I guess what I'm getting at is am I just rare or possibly especially clueless with learning how(not sure if I want to hear that answer but I'm willing to admit it's a possibility)? And did anybody else have an experience at all similar or do I just live in the strangest place in the world?

P.S. Sorry it's late and I know I should be asleep but I just needed to get that one out. 

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 4:34 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't understand why ANYONE would be questioning you period.  You don't have to constantly repeat your medical reasons, it's none of their business.  I guess it's not so strange since that many mamas there breastfeed but you don't have to explain yourself.  Here, everyone I meet bottle feeds so there is very little support about breastfeeding through regular people.  It took me quite a bit to figure out what formula worked best for my little ones, and how to clean the bottles, and how to position the bottles properly while they were feeding.  It's kind of scary at first.  Here you should get some help though, this is where I will be coming for breastfeeding advice for the next baby. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:20 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Its your baby, your choice period :) People aren't comfortable w/change, and if they don't agree with something then it must be wrong in their eyes. I have overactive letdown too, and it is uncomfortable, not so bad that I can't nurse. Our DD has come to love it lol she's a pig, and when the flow slows down she gives me a look like, "mom it's not working!" But yes, most bottles are dishwasher safe, and also for sterilizing and cleaning I just boiled mine (bottles, nipples, caps) prior to the first use, now we just use soap and hot water with the scrubby bottle brush.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 8:35 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Not in the same way, but I breastfed and wanted to be able to give my babies bottles too. As strange as it seemed I really felt like I didn't know how to give my babies a bottle. Even at a few days old they wouldn't latch onto the bottle, but I could get them to latch on to my breast with no trouble. And what did come out of the bottle just dripped down their faces. I tried this with my 1st two babies, with my 3rd I didn't even bother until he was months older. Forget all the steralizing stuff I didn't even get that far. I tried many times and none of my kids would ever take a bottle no matter what. I know part of it is probably that I was the one feeding them the bottle, but my husband had no interest in it, he didn't even seem to get the concept of tilting the bottle up so the milk is in the nipple and they aren't drinking air. He's a smart guy I have no idea why it was so hard other than that he really didn't want to do it.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:13 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Your baby, your choice. But no, it was all clearly printed on labels, I didn't need help or to question anything with my bottle babies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I formula fed all 5 of my kids by choice and I found it to be pretty self-explanatory. My first was born in 2000 and we didn't have an internet connection. Our doctor gave us a short pamphlet on bottle feeding that I glanced over. And he told us what he recommended. The instructions for making the formula are on the can. It even tells you how long the formula will last on the counter, in the fridge and not to use leftover formula. It's right on the can. People just need to read.
    We don't sterilize and have always used tap water (as suggested by our doctors). It's not rocket science. All 5 of my kids are super healthy and happy (never sick and all a perfect weight). I'm very happy with my decision.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I understand that they're not used to it so they might be a little confused. The formula wasn't the hard part the bottles were.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2011