How much is enough?

I am the mother of two boys and two step sons. In the past three years my stepsons mother has not takin the youngest to the dr. before his meds run out four times. He has come to the house and when asked why he did not have his meds he replied that his mother hadnt taken him to the dr to get another script. Lately or should I say since she told the dr that she didn't want him on some of the meds and the stupid dr took him off, his mood swings, behavior and all around demenor has completely crumbled. We have documented all of this and have the receipts where we (my husband and I) have had to go once she finally got the script a week earlier and pick up his meds. This has happened four times in the last year. not the three we have been together. Do we have enough to get her on neglect and get custody of the kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Since his behavior is a matter of "opinion" and not fact I don't think that would hold up very well.  I'm not a lawyer or a judge though so I don't know.  Forgetting a prescription 4 times?  Sounds flaky to me.  If I WERE a judge, you'd have to come up with a lot more than that.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I don't think so. I mean if the dr took him off the med's anyhow then they must not be necessary to sustain life for the child. In the case the child would die if no meds were administered I would say yes. But maybe mom will reason she is trying an all natural method that is in now. Maybe she felt like the meds were having some adverse effects that she felt she could handle his condition whatever it may be with a different approach.

OR

Maybe she is just trying to irritate you guys
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 5:05 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Call CPS and see what they say...what kinda meds does the child have to take and what for?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 5:25 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Is there a documented disorder? If so, is he getting ANY sort of treatment other than medication? Medical neglect is failing to get recommended medical care and treatment

http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/usermanuals/neglect/neglectb.cfm
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 5:46 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Get a laywer and ask him/her.

Answer by louise2 at 5:50 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• NOPE, and behavior meds are usually optional anyway, his mother doesn't have to put him on them at all.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:47 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• So dad had to buy some of his OWN SON'S MEDS???????? How dare his mother expect his father to buy him some things..... The nerve of her, I bet she even expects dad to provide food for him too doesn't she?????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Anon....i don't think she cares the her dh has to buy meds for her son, i think it is the point of the matter that he must NEED them and the mother of the child just flat out refuses to get them.

Now, since we don't know what the meds are, we don't know how important they are for him to have.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 10:03 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• LOL if getting custody were that easy, 1/2 the women on this site wouldn't have their kids.

Behavioral meds are optional- I'm glad to see she came to her senses and de-zombiefied her son!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• itsjustme, as JLS said, behavioral meds are optional and she is not REQUIRED to get them (in most cases, if this was a case where the child was required to be on them, I am sure the OP would have said that).
    Anonymous