How Much do you pay or get payed for babysitting?

A friend of mine asked me to babysit her 2 y.o. son for 8 hours one day this week. She asked how much i wanted and After she wouldnt name a price I said $20 witch i think is less that going rate. She hasnt texted me back. I mean i know shes a friend, and shes not maknig that much but am i wrong? i have already given her a brake and watched her son for 4 hours for $5 and 6 hours for $10.

JenKT

Asked by JenKT at 5:21 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in General Parenting

• I had a home daycare in NE Ohio. I charged $25/day for UP TO 9 hrs. of care. Even if they only had me 4 hrs, it was their choice and could have used all 9 hrs. I also babysit, on occasion, for a very good friend of mine on weekend evenings. She pays me $20 per child. She brings them later in the evening, maybe around 8 pm and picks them up early in the AM. Don't let your friend take advantage of you! You need to charge just like a business, just as she would if she were in your shoes!

Hope this helps!
    PiggyBug

Answer by PiggyBug at 6:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• No less than $10
    Anonymous

• I pay a sitter about $8 an hour

Answer by gemgem at 5:22 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• no you are not wrong, forgot to put that in.
    Anonymous

• No 20 dollars seems like more than fair
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 6:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• We generally pay around $5/hr.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 12:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Maybe because you are a friend and not her babysitter, she thought you would watch her child for free. Just to help her out.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:40 PM on Dec. 1, 2008