For those familiar with Unemployment Compensation

my husband was laid off on 3/25/11 and we filed a claim for unemployment the very same day. the claim was officially processed this past Monday, and a payment dispursed on 4/5/2011. we signed up for direct deposit and the automated system says that direct deposit payments are usually posted the 2nd business day after the payment was made. so we should have seen it in our account yesterday, and as of this morning it's still not there.

does unemployment usually mail a check for the first time? or is there likely an error and my husband needs to call and find out what's going on?

TIA

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:33 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• UM-NO. FUNDS ARE ONLY LOADED ONTO A CARD IF YOU OPT FOR IT.

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT EVERYONE IS FROM A DIFFERENT STATE AND EVERY STATE DOES THINGS DIFFERENTLY.

ARE YOU GUYS ON UNEMPLOYMENT THAT YOU KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT IT? WELL-I AM AND HAVE BEEN SINCE 08/2010. I TOLD HER AS I KNEW IT BUT THEN AGAIN, AS I SAID-ALL STATES ARE DIFFERENT AND DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 8:42 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• He should probably call. Alot of times they issue cards now, not checks and it is possible they issued a card and you havent gotten it yet. I would call and make sure they dont issue a card and maybe did not put it on that?

Answer by gemgem at 7:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I echo what gemgem said; nowadays, the funds are loaded onto a debit card.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My first payment of unemployment was a paper check. Every payment after that was done through direct deposit. I submit my claim online on Tues. and by Thurs. the money is in the account. The 1st paper check should not take long to arrive.
    I live in Fl. btw
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 8:40 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Our deposits were slow to start with and now are on time. But calling never hurts
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:24 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• thanks everyone. there is an option here in my state for the debit card but you can also opt for direct deposit or paper checks (im in FL too) it is finally in there today i just checked! =)
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2011