Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Can someone go to jail and do time if they abused and used threatening remarks that werent reported right away?

My SIL needs help and everyone is scared of putting her through anything that will get her any. In the past, she has pushed my children (abuse) with lots of verbal and emotional abuse. Yesterday, she got into an arguement with her bro n(my husband) and all she had to say was "you just watch it" (threatening remark).

We all live with her so i cant get restraining orders or do anything as long as i'm living here but thinking i will have to do it when i move. If i presented a log of these things that she did in court, could they put her in jail even though it happened months ago?

now lets not nitpick and give me answer that i'm not even asking. thanks


Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • You can go and report the crime any time but proving it happened and her doing actual jail time is a different issue. And yes you can get a restraining order if you live with her. I would talk to the clerk of court or a lawyer about getting one. If you live with someone who is violent and they abuse you (man or woman) or your kids then yes you can get a protective order.

    Answer by gemgem at 7:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

  • Its not your problem what she does, if she is violent like you say she is then you are entitled to a safe place, and she loses her rights to have a place. That is how the law is. What happens when a man abuses his wife and is kicked out of his place?

    Answer by gemgem at 8:09 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

  • That "threatening remark" not so threatenting... I understand how you took it but she could argue that to be anything... as far as all the other things it's going to be your word against hers. even if you make a compelling case to an officer and have her charged there are good odds any decient lawyer will get her off. I would just stop worring about trying to fix her, worry about yourself, husband, and children. She'll eventually get whats coming to her, just make sure your standing back when it does. GL

    Answer by Finkette at 7:59 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

  • I think these are chargable, a misdemeanor, report it today and see what your options are.

    Answer by jewjewbee at 8:01 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

  • if she is abusing your children then I would report it right away!!

    Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:59 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

  • Sorry missed that it wasn't you... just change pronouns accordingly :)

    Answer by Finkette at 8:00 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

  • My cousin got a restraining order on her bf and they made him move out

    Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:00 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

  • call your local police department, I had an issue similar to this and had to get some to do the same.

    Answer by momto4girzls at 8:36 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

  • gemgem is right, they will make HER leave her own house

    Answer by yesmaam at 9:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

  • so what is she suppose to do? hide downstairs all day if i get a restraining order?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:59 AM on Apr. 8, 2011