What's your definition of "in shape"?

i'm one of those women who worked out before, during, and after pregnancy. i've always been what i call "in shape". i did get my figure back and so many people have been telling me "you did a great job getting back "in shape", but i was never out of shape. sure i had a pregnant belly but i was still able to run 5 miles and hike 10 miles uphill and then 10 miles back downhill when i was 9 months. does in shape for people mean skinny? i go to a gym. i see lots of bigger women who can run 5 miles and i see lots of skinny women that can't even run a couple feet w/o getting tired. in shape to me means you are athletic and have a high endurance. why do people associate skinny with in shape and big or pregnant with not in shape?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I agree with you. I think maybe people are confusing "in shape" with what the IN shape is :)
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 8:23 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I WAS one of those skinny girls who couldn't "run to the car" lol. But I thought because I had "the shape" I was IT. Now 3 kids later and x years :) I know being in shape is being able to walk/run/skip, lift those kids, have the stamina to play at the park with them.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 8:29 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• In shape is when a woman (or man) is toned and healthy-no flab, no fat.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 8:33 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• ok then what about toned people who have no endurance. who can't run upstairs without getting winded. why is it when people get out of breath in a tv show they say "ah i'm out of shape".
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:35 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Right just because some people are not skinny does not mean they are no in shape. When I think of in shape I think of someone who can endure being physically active.
    jnb71584

Answer by jnb71584 at 9:11 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Because they are ignorant of the definition of what a medical Dr would consider in shape. You really can be a heavier person and still able to run a mile and not be to winded and vise versa. Height and weight ratio I think has little to do with being In shape.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:19 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I'm with you. In shape means being able to be active. While I'm not "skinny" (not overweight either but really darn close to it) I workout 6 days training for my 1st marathon. I run 40+miles a week with my long run being 20 or more, strength train, swim 2000 yds, cycle a couple times a week and still keep up with my kids. I feel like I'm in shape, even if I'm still working to reach my weight goal.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:37 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I went to a HC talk last week and the speaker stated that it is better to be heavier and active than thin and inactive. Bigger does not automatically= out of shape. Personally, I run and hike quite a bit, and am averaged/right sized and 50+ years of age. Many times when I run races, heavier, younger ladies run much faster than I.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• i think i'm "in shape" as well and i'm about 6 month pregnant. i think people do associate being in shape with being skinny. Everyone wants that "perfect body" and no one wants to accept their own body for what it is. Most search for that illusionary perfect look that they don't have but they see on TV in models and actors/actresses. I defiantly have slowed down a little bit because I'm toting around 20 extra pounds and I guess to some I would be considered out of shape b ut I can still probably run circles around most people, not that i care to but I could!. It's so funny to me when i'm at the gym and people look at me strange. I wonder if they think,'that lady is fat" or they think, 'that lady is pregnant'!
    Mrsorr

Answer by Mrsorr at 2:14 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• you know what. i never noticed people staring at me when i was 6-7-8-9 months pregnant and running and weight lifting at the gym. but after about 6 months when i was very skinny again i was at the gym on the elliptical and this older, very in shape man, maybe mid 50's came up to me and said. "i'm sorry but i have to ask. you've been coming here for over a year now right? you made amazing progress. you used to be much bigger weren't you" i was just like "uhhh, i was pregnant" he was so embarrassed. the other thing is i was OBVIOUSLY pregnant. i had a 50 lb pregnant belly but everything else was thin lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:20 AM on Apr. 9, 2011