Would you expect a refund or not to be charged?

S/O and I took the kids out to eat last night at one of the local restaurants, the place was amazing looking.. the food however was not.

After 20 minutes of waiting for our server to give us our menus and another 15 waiting for her to take our orders and bring drinks we ordered:
Cheese sticks (which turned out to be beer battered, not mention of that in the menu)
2 chicken tender kids meals with a side of mac n cheese
House burger with a side of fries
Chicken fried steak with a side of mashed potatoes
3 drinks
2 beers

I bit into my burger and it was gross, I took another bite thinking maybe I was wrong and managed to choke down one last bite before giving up and just eating my fries. The kids ate one bite of their mac n cheese and tried to bite their chicken tender (again, beer battered) which was so hard it hurt MY teeth. My S/O did about the same with his chicken fried steak as I did with my burger.

In the end all that was eaten was some fries, mashed potatoes, 3 drinks and 2 beers.

Our total was $52

I asked the manager about not charging us and told him of our wait.. he declined my request and asked that we pay and leave quietly (we were not loud and actually got a number of praises on how quiet the kids were).

Am I wrong for expecting a partial refund or to not be charged for some of our meal? Or should I just have sent our entire order back to the kitchen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Food & Drink

• You should have complained before the food ever got there and than once you tasted it. Most of the time managers will refund you or take something off the tab if you do that. I worked both as a waitress and front of the house supervisor at restaurants over the years and we were always good about making sure we had customers leave happy. It sounds like this place is likely doomed to close. My best advice to just to spread the word on how awful they were. People always remember bad service and tell 10 times more people how bad it was than they do about good service and that is a death knell to a restaurant.

Answer by gemgem at 8:47 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• The trick is to show your displeasure as soon as you first taste your food...if you wait till the end of your meal managment tends to think your trying to get one over on them
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 8:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Well, you paid and left. At this point, I would suggest writing a letter to the owner of the restaurant. If it's a franchise, send a copy to the head office. Maybe you can receive some sort of compensation. If not, bad advertising is advertising...just not the type a restaurant wants.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:53 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I would have immediately sent it back to the kitchen. And if it was still awful when it came back, I would have sent it back again and asked for a manager. You have to remember that the squeaky wheel gets the grease- in other words, you have to complain or bring their attention to the problem before they can make it right. I would have gone right over the server's head to the manager if she told me that. Sorry you had such an awful experience. What a waste of $50!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:57 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Go back with the receipt and see the owner or find the web site for corporate and complain woman!! Youd be surprised what the owner or corporate would do. We had an experience at AppleBee's like this and the manager on duty did the same thing to us. I contacted corporate who sent us $50 gift card and the General Manager called me to come in and talk about what happened. I got another $50 gift card out of it. NEVER tolerate bad service in a restaurant. NEVER!!!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:08 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I probably would've asked for something new :) But I don't think you were wrong either way
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 8:46 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• you coulve asked to order something else
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:47 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I asked the waitress if we could order something else and she informed us that it would have to be added to our check, they don't do replacements.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:49 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• You were not wrong. You should have given the place a chance to correct the meal and if they did not, you should have been given a huge discount.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:50 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I can understand it if we had eaten everything and then asked for a refund but we didn't. we clearly had hardly touched our food, to me as a manager that would be a red flag.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:50 AM on Apr. 8, 2011